Cisco's Network Magic was a handy and easy-to-use program for individuals and organizations. It helped to diagnose problems in their respective networks and address them at the earliest. Its DIY tools eliminated the need for expensive technical consultants and, at the same time, came with advanced security features such as robust intrusion prevention and comprehensive monitoring.
However, Cisco stopped providing updates to this tool as it turned its focus towards intelligent Wi-Fi routers. As a result, though you can still use Network Magic, it's outdated, and Cisco provides no support whatsoever. So, if you run into problems, there's no help.
For this reason, many Network Magic users have moved to its alternatives, and we'll take a look at some of them in this article.
Here’s our list of the best alternatives for Cisco Network Μagic:
- SolarWinds Network Performance Monitor- FREE TRIAL A comprehensive monitoring tool that works across multiple vendors and scales well with your network and business needs. It comes with a host of features to give you the flexibility required to run your business.
- SolarWinds Network Configuration Manager – FREE TRIAL Another comprehensive tool from SolarWinds that gives insights into the performance of your network infrastructure. It comes with many easy-to-use features that help you stay on top of your network's performance and availability.
- Paessler PRTG Network Monitor A comprehensive solution for monitoring your network infrastructure and all e devices and components in it. This sensor-based tool uses various sensors to monitor different aspects of your network infrastructure.
- Atera RMM Specializes in providing remote monitoring and management, along with a powerful ticketing and CRM system to give complete control over different aspects of your IT system.
- Spiceworks IP Scanner Automatically scans devices within an IP range and provides detailed hardware and software information about them. It also sends alerts in case of vulnerabilities or potential problems.
- Advanced IP Scanner A free and reliable network scanning tool that analyzes the LAN and provides detailed information on the health and performance of devices on the network.
- HomeNet Manager A simple tool used to scan home networks that typically have about two to three devices connected to them.
- SentinelAgent An ultralight cloud-based monitoring solution designed primarily for Windows platforms.
- Axence NetTools A set of ten tools for network scanning and monitoring. It includes NetWatch, Network Port and Service Scanner, WinTools, TCP/IP Workshop, and SNMP Browser, Traceroute, NetStat, Local info, Lookup, Bandwidth, and NetCheck.
The Best Cisco Network Magic Alternatives
Let's take a detailed look into the features, pricing, and free trials that each product may offer.
Network Performance Monitor from SolarWinds is a comprehensive monitoring tool that works across multiple vendors and scales well with your network and business needs. In addition, it comes with a host of features to give you the flexibility required to run your business.
Here's a look at what this tool offers.
- Monitors and analyzes the availability of all Cisco devices, thereby making it a good alternative for Cisco Network Magic
- Visualizes the network path from source to destination with NetPath
- Provides deep packet inspection to give you a better idea of the reasons for network slowdown
- Monitors and analyzes the availability and performance of Huawei NetStream
- Comes with a multi-vendor LAN monitor to monitors networks of any size
- The Link Analysis tool helps you to view the entire path of the packets, from source to destination
- Monitors router traffic for many vendors
- Gives a snapshot of all the monitoring metrics in a single dashboard
- Measures the effectiveness of WAN optimization tools
- Monitors the Cisco ACI Environment to track down problems
- Analyzes all network issues and gives you the insights to understand the root-cause
- Checks for network availability and performance issues, and accordingly sends notifications through many channels
- Comes with a network browser to automatically monitor your network from anywhere
- Keeps track of your equipment usage
- Automatically discovers, scans, and maps your network devices
- Diagnoses and troubleshoots network issues
- Creates graphs, tables, and views to give you in-depth information
- Monitors and manages your firewall infrastructure
- Provides network insights for Cisco Nexus, including the critical data center switches
- Stays on top of the health and performance of F5 BIG-IP
- Identifies the source of network latency problems
- Enables you to create custom heat maps and visual packet paths
- Helps you to get to the root cause of a problem with intelligent alerts and insights
- Generate network performance reports at pre-configured schedules
- Its reports give an overview and, at the same time, drills down to the specifics
- Provides complete visibility to the entire network
- Optimizes critical processes for improved network performance
- Gives the root cause of poor end-user experience so that you can fix it right away
- Uses network sniffer to automatically monitors networks and applications
Pricing: Starts at $1,638
Download: Click here for a fully functional 30-day free trial.
Network Configuration Manager is another comprehensive tool from SolarWinds that gives insights into the performance of your network infrastructure. It comes with many easy-to-use features that help you stay on top of your network's performance and availability.
The salient features of SolarWinds Network Configuration Manager are:
- Ensures high levels of network availability and reliability
- Automatically backs up, monitors finds, and restores router and switch configurations
- Simplifies device configuration management
- Manages switch configuration tasks to increase productivity
- Continuously monitors changes and ensures that your system quickly recovers from misconfigurations
- Identifies and resolves configuration drifts
- Compares configurations for routers and switches
- Helps device configuration changes
- Maintains the up-to-date inventory of all network devices
- Eliminates the need for manual device inventory
- Saves time by using an automated network configuration
- Reduces the time and effort needed for handling network configuration changes
- Improves reliability in handling network issues
- Optimizes the performance of your network infrastructure
- Fixes network vulnerabilities
- Provides real-time alerting
- Handles VLAN configuration and troubleshooting
Pricing: Starts at $1,687
Download: Click here for a fully functional 30-day free trial.
3. Paessler PRTG Network Monitor
Paessler PRTG Network Monitor is a comprehensive solution for monitoring your network infrastructure and all e devices and components in it. This sensor-based tool uses various sensors to monitor different aspects of your network infrastructure.
Here's a look at the features of PRTG.
- Identifies weak spots and sends a report so that you can fix them at the earliest
- Handles Windows event log monitoring
- Calculates server workload and performance of SharePoint
- Monitors SQL, Exchange, and server software
- Stays on top of the health and performance of every standard application, including cloud and virtualized environments
- Checks backups and notifies of incorrect ones
- Optimizes the use of resources for Citrix XenServer and other virtual machines
- Monitors the availability, performance, and delivery of email servers
- Displays the critical status values of Hyper-V host
- Monitors every aspect of IIS servers
- Keeps a constant eye on Linux-based networks
- Supports protocols such as POP3, IMAP, and SMTP
- Detects loopholes and informs your right away
- Uses WMI, performance counters, and SNMP to monitor Windows servers
- Works well on Windows, Linux, and macOS
- Supports nine languages, including Portuguese, Dutch, Russian, Spanish, German, French, English, Japanese, and Simplified Chinese
Pricing: The cost depends on the number of sensors you use. Typically, one sensor monitors one aspect of a device, such as CPU load, memory usage, etc.
The first 100 sensors are free.
Download: Click here for an unlimited free trial for 30 days. At the end of this period, you can upgrade to the paid version or go for the free plan.
4. Atera Remote Monitoring and Management
Atera's Remote Monitoring and Management (RMM) tool specializes in providing remote monitoring and management, along with a powerful ticketing and CRM system to give complete control over different aspects of your IT system.
Some of the critical features of this tool are:
- Offers complete visibility and control to multiple networks of any size and complexity
- Sends notifications in real-time about potential problems so that they can be fixed at the earliest
- Comes with pre-configured administrative and maintenance tasks that can be applied to both servers and workstations
- Quick and easy to configure
- Automates patch management
- Provides a suite of remote maintenance tools
- Integrates with Splashtop to help you provide instant remote support
- Gathers network and asset information
- Tracks health and performance of networks and devices and generates intuitive reports to gain excellent visibility
- Provides complete log activity
- Works well for the Mac environment as well
- Offers automatic OID monitoring on Linux-based devices
Pricing: Atera offers three plans, and they are:
- Pro ($79/month/technician) – Supports up to two concurrent Splashtop remote access, five support addresses, 400 RPM API, and file viewer
- Growth ($119/month/technician) – Supports unlimited concurrent Splashtop remote access, ten support addresses, 600 RPM API, and file transfer up to 15 GB
- Power ($149/month/technician) – Supports unlimited concurrent Splashtop remote access, ten support addresses, 600 RPM API, and file transfer up to 15 GB
Download: Click here for a free trial of the Growth plan.
5. Spiceworks IP Scanner
As the name suggests, Spiceworks IP Scanner automatically scans devices within an IP range and provides detailed hardware and software information about them. It also sends alerts in case of vulnerabilities or potential problems.
Some of the salient features of this tool are:
- Automatically discovers devices on your network
- Provides detailed hardware and software metrics of all devices on your network
- Lists information such as host's name, IP address, open ports, vendor, and other pertinent details on each device
- Documents your IT services
- Scans your network to identify unknown devices
- Finds and fixes security loopholes
- Quick to set up and easy to use
- Troubleshoots user issues and quickly creates a ticket to address the root cause
- Works well on both Windows and Mac
Pricing: Spiceworks IP Scanner offers four plans, namely,
Contact the sales team for more details and prices.
Download: Click here to get started
6. Advanced IP Scanner
Advanced IP Scanner is a free and reliable network scanning tool that analyzes the LAN and provides detailed information on the health and performance of devices on the network.
Below are some essential features of the Advanced IP Scanner.
- Displays all network devices
- Gives access to shared folders
- Provides remote control of computers through RDP and Radmin
- Allows you to remotely switch off computers
- Easy to use
- Runs as a portable edition
- Detects MAC addresses
- No installation is required
- Exports the scan results to a CSV for quick comparison
- Compatible with Windows 10
- Scans a network quickly
- Works with Radmin VPN to connect computers located behind firewalls
Pricing: 100% FREE
Download: Click here to download this tool and start scanning.
7. HomeNet Manager
HomeNet Manager is a simple tool used to scan home networks that typically have about two to three connected devices. This tool is for everyday users who don't have much expertise in scanning devices on their networks, watching for security vulnerabilities, and optimizing them for the best performance. Hence, this tool is easy to use and is primarily a choice for home networks or small businesses with a handful of devices on their network.
Here's a look at some of the features of HomeNet Manager.
- Manages and configures home and other small networks
- Helps to design your home network from scratch
- When you tun it the first time, it thoroughly analyzes the network and creates a map of different devices ha are easy for you to understand
- Detects vulnerabilities at the earliest
- Generates clear and graphical reports
- Configures the shared folders across your computers
- Allows you to view the IP address of each device
- Keeps you informed of changes in your router's configuration page
- Helps you to stay on top of all shared folders and resources across your network
- Comes with an “Intruder Detection” program that acts as a firewall for your network
- Detects and stops any intruder attack on your network
- Displays the best position for each device graphically, and this can come in handy while setting up your home or office network
- Displays the IP address and name of each device on the network
Pricing: 100% FREE
Download: Click here for a free download.
SentinelAgent is an ultralight cloud-based monitoring solution designed primarily for Windows platforms. It captures, analyzes, and stores logs, performance metrics, and other pertinent information to provide deep insights into the performance of devices on your network.
Some of the essential features of this tool are:
- Provides real-time event log monitoring
- It is a 100% cloud-based architecture
- Retains data for seven days
- Makes it easy to monitor all machines from a single account
- There are absolutely no ads or bloat
- Comes with pre-configured notifications for CPU/disk errors and event ID errors
- Provides real-time performance and system inventory monitoring
- Comes ready for installation
- Minimum requirements are a System memory of 512 MB, disk space of 15 MB, and Windows 7, 8, 8.1, 2008, 2008 R2, and 2012
- Requires no additional hardware or software
- Auto throttles bandwidth usage
- Comes with SSL encryption
- Uses only minimal system resources
Pricing: Click here to request a quote.
Download: Click here for a trial version.
9. Axence netTools
Axence netTools is a set of ten tools for network scanning and monitoring. It includes NetWatch, Network Port and Service Scanner, WinTools, TCP/IP Workshop, SNMP Browser, Traceroute, NetStat, Local info, Lookup, Bandwidth, and NetCheck.
Here's a look at some of the features of Axence netTools.
- Displays the availability of multiple hosts and their response times
- Sends notifications via email, messages, and sounds
- Shows the current and historical charts for response times and lost packet percentage
- Exports data to XML, HTML, and TXT files
- Monitors 50 services such as TCP/IP, HTTP, POP3, SMTP, FTP, and more
- Discovers machines connected to a network
- Detects open ports
- Identifies services on discovered devices
- Provides detailed information on the processes
- Sends custom queries based on WMI protocol
- Detects suspicious connections
- Creates a list of inbound and outbound connections
- Looks up DNS and WHOIS records
- Checks LAN hardware and wiring
- It is designed for both commercial and home use
- Provides HDD, RAM, and CPU details of every device so that you can stay on top of their health and performance at all times
Pricing: The cost depends on the number of tools, users, and devices. Contact the sales team for a custom quote.
Download: Click here to download netTools.
To conclude, there are many alternatives to Cisco's Network Magic, and the choice depends on your requirements, budget, size of your network, complexity, and other pertinent factors. We hope the above tools give you all the information you need to choose the tool that best fits your needs.