The non-relational database has become relatively very popular today. It has become an essential tool for the enterprise world. Riak is that one database that has always been a fundamental part of the NoSQL database environment.
This article will provide you with detailed information on Riak database monitoring and a list of the best tools you can implement in your organization.
Here is our list of the best Riak Database monitoring tools:
- Site24x7 Makes it easier to monitor critical metrics including total allocated memory, the number of active GET/PUT FSMs, and more.
- AppPerfect A Riak database monitoring tool that does not require any agent installed on the monitored devices.
- Zabbix An open-source monitoring tool that provides information on the state of Riak cluster nodes.
- Riak Control Provides a web-based administrative interface for inspecting and manipulating Riak clusters.
- Nagios A monitoring and alerting solution that provides the stat of the Riak cluster nodes.
- Splunk Used to aggregate all Riak cluster node operational log files, including the operating system and Riak-specific logs and Riak statistics data.
- New Relic is a data visualization tool that analyzes and provides information on Riak nodes’ current and past states.
- Riemann is a tool that uses stream processing language to collect events from client agents running on Riak nodes.
What is Riak?
Riak KV is highly in demand, is scalable, and operates the NoSQL database effortlessly. However, it is different because it automatically distributes data across the group to ensure fast performance and fault tolerance, and it deals with Key-Value use cases.
On the contrary, Riak TS is used for optimizing time series and IoT data. It enables you to read and write faster so that you can store, query, and analyze time and location data easily. In a nutshell, it is used as a foundation to reduce the complexity of integrating and deploying active workloads for BigData, IoT, hybrid cloud applications.
The database is written in Erlang and even comprises fault-tolerant data replication and automatic distribution across the group for performance and resilience.
Why do we need Riak Database Monitoring?
You need Riak Database Monitoring due to its unique features:
- Availability of Fault-Tolerant Riak encompasses duplicate key or value stores situated across the group of nodes with a default n-Val. When you face node outages caused due to network partition or hardware failures, you can still write data to a neighboring node after the first three and read back. It is only possible because of its masterless peer-to-peer architecture.
- Queries Riak delivers a RESTful-API via HTTP or Protocol Buffers for usual put, get, post, and delete functions. It also makes other more complex queries possible that include Secondary Indexes, Search, and MapReduce.
- Predictable Latency Riak database monitoring enables you to distribute data across nodes and hashing and provides a latency profile. It is possible even when you are facing multiple failures.
- Storage Options It stores the keys or values in the form of memory, disk, or sometimes both.
- Replicates Multi-Datacenter The Multi-Datacenter Replication acts as a “primary cluster” that can handle replication requests from more than one “secondary cluster.” When the data center of the primary cluster goes down, it is taken over by the secondary cluster.
- Tunable Consistency It has tunable consistency that allows it to select consistency from eventual to sturdy ones for every bucket.
Use Cases Of Riak
Riak offers significant and straightforward use cases that we have discussed below:
- Session Storage Riak was designed as scalable session storage. However, it has begun serving the most complex session storages with its evolution. It comes with the most advanced features like Bitcask, MapReduce, and many more.
- Ads Although Riak is one of the best databases for multiple use cases, it is considered crucial while serving advertisement content. Furthermore, since it is a portable database, it tends to serve content to different web and mobile users simultaneously having low latency.
- Log Data Information related to events occurring in an OS or other software or messages between users using communication software. Riak stores a hefty amount of log data using MapReduce.
- Sensor Data The device’s output that identifies and responds to some input located in the physical environment. There are a lot of devices that collect and send data at a given interval which might be arduous to handle. Riak helps in managing these types of data.
- User Account Data It is relatively difficult to handle user accounts. That is why companies look for intuitive yet straightforward ways to store the data. They opt for Riak as it enables every Riak account to be stored as a JSON object in the bucket.
Best Riak Database Monitoring Tools
The best Riak Database Monitoring tools you can use in your enterprise are:
Site24x7 offers Riak Monitoring Tool that makes the critical metrics like total allocated memory, numerous active GET/PUT FSMs, and more effortlessly. In addition, it supports various unusual metrics that are as follows:
- It provides numerous Protocol Buffer Connections and active PBCs, respectively.
- It provides you with data related to the total amount of current memory and even stores atoms.
- It stores values on a disk in binary and provides the number of memories stored in binary via memory binary.
- It runs on an Erlang virtual machine, making the stats allocated for erlang code, Erlang Term Storage, and Erlang processes critical to tune Erlang VM and optimizes Riak performance appropriately.
- It comprises FSM time stats representing the amount of time required to negotiate the PUT Finite State Machine code, thereby delivering a picture of general node health.
- It has Virtual Nodes that manage partitions in the Riak ring via multiple vnodes.
- It has a GET FSM sibling that provides stats concerning the number of siblings encountered by this node during GET requests.
Website Link: https://www.site24x7.com/plugins/riak-monitoring.html
AppPerfect’s Riak Monitoring tool is a distributed key value-based NoSQL database. It supports enormous data storage and management with increased flexibility, availability, scalability, and fault tolerance. The performance of the database defines the success of your organization. It enables you to provide customer satisfaction 24×7 and smooth operation of daily business activities. You can monitor the performance of the database and provide extensive information to take necessary steps before the occurrence of vital business processes.
Website Link: http://www.appperfect.com/support/tutorials/monitoring/nosql-monitoring/riak-database-monitoring.php
Zabbix Riak Database Monitoring tools provide high availability, fault tolerance, operational simplicity, and scalability to the organization. Apart from the open-source version, it also comes in supported enterprise and cloud-storage versions. In addition, it provides the following features:
- It collects metrics from any source.
- It eliminates the task of tracking metrics manually. Instead, it automatically detects problem states within the incoming metric flow.
- It uses multiple news channels to keep you informed of the different types of events that are taking place in your area.
- It displays the collected data in several ways.
- You can acquire a visual overview of your IT environment in many ways.
- It helps you correlate existing and incoming problems and perform root cause analysis.
Website Link: https://www.zabbix.com/integrations/riak
4. Riak Control
Riak Control, a web-based administrative console, inspects and manipulates Riak clusters. Though it is maintained as a separate application, Control ships have the necessary codes and do not require additional installation steps. It:
- Helps you to manage clusters with the help of staging. The new Riak interface stages the cluster node additions and removals.
- Has a standalone node management interface that collects the unstaged actions.
- Prevents users from understanding every detail of its existing functionality to contribute.
Website Link: https://riak.com/riak-1-4-riak-control/
Nagios provides scalability and flexibility to an organization’s business processes. One of the most powerful monitoring tools makes server monitoring easy with agentless and agent-based monitoring capability. It comes with over 5000+ add ons to monitor your servers. In addition, it offers the following features:
- It monitors all critical infrastructure components, including applications, services, operating systems, network protocol, system statistics, etc.
- It simplifies the log data search process by setting up alerts. These alerts notify you whenever it detects a threat or simply query the log data to audit any system instantly.
- It offers a highly visible and scalable network, thereby solving the problem of multiple networks or geographical separation.
Website Link: https://github.com/basho-labs/riak_nagios
Splunk provides data concerning the current operating status. It includes statistics in the form of histograms and counters. These statistics are available via HTTP API or riak-admin interface. It draws system statistics for a Riak node and helps you identify early warnings of potential problems. It also graphs the throughput metrics that are relevant to the use case. It helps in analyzing planning and usage trends. You can also create an expected baseline to monitor unexpected increases or decreases in productivity.
In addition, Splunk offers tools to visualize machine-generated data such as log files. It also helps to reduce the downtime by 82% with the Splunk AIOps platform.
Website Link: https://www.splunk.com/en_us/app-integrations.html
7. New Relic
With the help of the New Relic Riak Database Monitoring tool, you can monitor, debug, and improve your entire stack. Its Dev and Ops team solves the data-related problem effortlessly. It enables you to collect all the telemetry in one cloud securely. It correlates issues across your entire stack, debugs and collaborate from the IDE, and provides AI assistance at every step. Moreover, it gives a clear overview of the performance of your software environment. Therefore, you tend to find and fix problems faster, build an accurate DevOps team, and deliver value to your customers.
Website Link: https://github.com/basho/riak_newrelic
Riemann collects events from your servers and applications using a sturdy stream processing language. Several moving parts provide the users with low latency and transient shared state for systems. The fields included in Riemann are the functions that accept events. These events are structured with standard fields like host and services and even provide dozens of built-in streams like filtering, altering, and combining events or writing your own.
The features provided by Riemann are:
- It delivers concise, regular, and extendable syntax.
- It diagnoses the problems faster.
- Its queries form the basis for the real-time web sockets dashboard showing updated events as soon as they are detected.
Website Link: https://riemann.io/
Multiple open-source, self-hosted, or service-based solutions are available for aggregating and analyzing statistics and log data. These tools enable you to monitor, alert, and analyze trends on a Riak cluster. Furthermore, it exposes numerous forms of statistical information in various ways. Therefore, it solely helps the organization operate its processes smoothly and seamlessly.