No doubt, System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM) is a great system management solution with numerous advantages. But it also comes with various limitations that make organizations switch to alternate options. If you are looking for another flexible, user-friendly, versatile, and cheaper alternate system management solution to SCCM, you have come to the right place. We have penned down some of the best SCCM alternative solutions available in the market.
Find some of the best SCCM tools that will suit all business needs. Compare each alternate solution to SCCM and opt for the one with better features and capabilities.
Here is our list of the best SCCM alternatives:
- SolarWinds Network Performance Monitor – FREE TRIAL An easy-to-use alternate tool to SCCM that provides network monitoring, link analysis, and network latency testing.
- NinjaOne Patch Management – FREE TRIAL A leading cloud-based endpoint management solution, providing centralized device management at scale. Offers automated software and operating system as part of a remote monitoring and management platform.
- SolarWinds Patch Manager – FREE TRIAL A popular patch management solution that monitors new patches and integrates them as per the schedule.
- ManageEngine Endpoint Central A unified endpoint management solution that is easy to set up and navigate. It is one of the best alternatives to SCCM that helps update devices faster.
- JumpCloud An open directory platform compatible with all on-premises, in the cloud, operating systems, including Windows, macOS, Linux, etc.
- JetPatch Another trusted alternate tool for SCCM. It provides seamless automated patching and helps protect your infrastructure.
- Ivanti Security Control Allows enforcing security policies on storage devices to protect crucial data. It works as a barrier to modern cyber-attacks and supports patch management for OS and third-party applications.
What Is SCCM?
System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM) is a device and server management solution that enables organizations to manage, deploy, control, and secure various Windows-based systems. It is one of the flexible and effective system management solutions developed by Microsoft. It involves hardware inventory management, license monitoring, Operating System deployment, automatic inventory reporting, and more. Most enterprises use SCCM integrated console to manage applications from a central location for software distribution, patch management, and endpoint protection.
The SCCM tool depends on a single infrastructure to manage application deployments and device updates. The tool also alerts end-users when installations and upgrades take place. You can manage a large number of Windows-based computers using System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM). It also supports remote control features. The tool is highly compatible with Windows or macOS computers, Linux/Unix servers, and mobile devices operating Windows, iOS, and Android. The SCCM tool offers free trials. As the limit expires, you need to purchase a license to continue using the SCCM tool. This is another reason why most companies look for alternate free tools for system management.
What You Should Look into SCCM?
System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM) is best suitable for larger organizations. The tool helps reduce overhand tasks of IT teams and works best for device management and users both on-premises and in the cloud. Further, it aids in the easy management of patches and updates. The tool comprises various features and capabilities that make it one of the best choices for most enterprises:
- Operating systems deployment
- Network access protection
- Remote Control
- Software Distribution
- Patch Management
- Hardware Inventory
- Management of Updates
- Centralized Management of IT infrastructure
- Application deployment
- Control via GUI
- In-Console Updates
- Device Management
- Compliance And Settings Management
- Mobile Management
- Reporting Productivity
The Best SCCM Alternatives
If you want to save your organization from high ongoing operating costs and fulfilling resource requirements for the maintenance of SCCM tools, look out for the below-listed alternative. We have shortlisted some of the versatile, user-friendly alternate solutions for system management. These are highly reliable and recommended by the experts. Have a look!
SolarWinds Network Performance Monitor (NPM) is an easy-to-use alternate tool to SCCM that provides network monitoring, link analysis, and network latency testing. Get real-time views and an intuitive dashboard to monitor network performance, detect, and resolve issues before any failure or crisis occur. The tool is highly simple, user-friendly, and requires no additional training or experience to perform operations. Also, SolarWinds Network Performance Monitor (NPM) is cost-effective and can be deployed in the cloud and on-premises.
- Customizable topology
- Monitoring Hardware Status
- Advanced alerts
- Automatic network mapping
- Automatic network discovery
- Automated capacity forecasting and reports
- Wireless heatmaps
- Multi-vendor network monitoring
- Network Insights
- Hop-by-hop monitoring and analysis along critical paths
- Easy-to-understand user interface
- CMS Distribution
The best part about using SolarWinds Network Performance Monitor (NPM) is it supports all platforms. The system management alternate solution comprises various features such as automatic discovery, NetPath feature, Network Insight, wireless heatmaps, advanced alerting, and more. Supporter of smarter scalability, depending on the license it allows to scale up to 1 million elements per instance. SolarWinds Network Performance Monitor (NPM) is in use by many large corporations for it supports the quick diagnosis, troubleshoot, and fixing of network performance problems. Also, the tool provides performance monitoring and minimizes downtime.
A user can now monitor logical components of the SDN environment using NPM. It covers application profiles, endpoint groups, tenants, APICs, and more.
- Takes a holistic approach to server performance and health monitoring
- Supports auto-discovery that builds network topology maps and inventory lists in real time based on devices that enter the network
- Supports both SNMP monitoring as well as packet analysis, giving you more control over monitoring than similar tools
- Uses drag and drop widgets to customize the look and feel of the dashboard
- Robust reporting system with pre-configured compliance templates
- Designed for IT professionals, not the best option for non-technical users
Any company looking for a powerful alternate tool for SCCM that can help with productivity and growth must switch to SolarWinds Network Performance Monitor (NPM). The multi-platform system management tool is also suitable for small organizations. The tool helps get answers to any query related to the performance of network devices. It also helps build network maps automatically. Avail of the 30-day free trial to make up your mind and try its excellent feature that helps deliver efficient endpoint management.
Website Link: https://www.solarwinds.com/network-performance-monitor
Download: Click here for a fully functional 30-day free trial.
NinjaOne Patch Management is an automated substitute for SCCM that can be used as part of a wider system monitoring and management service. The NinjaOne cloud-based platform of tools has multi-tenant architecture, making it ideal for use by managed service providers (MSPs). However, the tool can also be used by in-house IT departments to manage endpoints, especially for corporations that have multiple sites and remote workers.
- Automated patch management
- Software and operating system updates
- Unattended operations
- Remote monitoring and management
- Multi-tenant architecture
- RMM suite
- System backups
- Automated software vulnerability detection
- Completion status reporting
- Compliance management
- OS imaging and configuration management
- Security monitoring
- Endpoint management
- Network monitoring
The Patch Management service operates continually, offering a vulnerability scanning service to identify out-of-date software for which updates are available. The tool will also examine operating system suppliers for available patches. You can schedule maintenance windows in the console of the NinjaOne service and then the patch manager will install accumulated updates at the next available slot.
As an automated service, the Patch Management system will operate without the need for human resources, thus, there is no need for expensive technician overtime payments in order to get patches applied out of office hours.
The NinjaOne system assists you in setting up patching profiles for different devices on different sites, so you don’t have to put up with a uniform, universal operating strategy. The Patch Management service is just one of the services available on the NinjaOne cloud platform. You can get a full RMM package and a backup service with this provider as well.
- Can silently install and uninstall applications and patches while the user works
- Patch management and other automated maintenance tasks can be easily scheduled
- Platform agnostic web-based management
- Cloud-based – highly flexible
- Lacks support for mobile devices
NinjaOne doesn’t publish a price list but you can begin your investigation into this system monitoring and management package by accessing a 14-day free trial.
Website Link: https://www.ninjaone.com/patch-management/
SolarWinds Patch Manager is a popular patch management solution that monitors new patches and integrates them as per the schedule. It has made it easier for users to conduct 3rd-party patch management across various servers and workstations. The powerful tool allows you to extend the capabilities of SCCM to integrate with other applications like Adobe Reader, Oracle, etc. Also, you no longer require any System Center Updates Publisher (SCUP) to limit patches not performed by Microsoft.
- Pre-built or Pre-test packages
- SCCM integrations
- Third-party application patching
- Compliance reports
- Patch status dashboard
- Extended Microsoft WSUS patch management
- Automatic Patch Deployment
- Vulnerability Scanning
- Patch scripting
- Lower Security risk
SolarWinds Patch Manager runs on Windows Server but requires integrated SCCM monitoring for interacting with other agents (Mac OS, Linux, iOS, and Android devices). Further, to check if any network endpoint is out of sync, you do not need to run another investigation. You will get a notification stating the reason for patch update failure. It also helps with updating system software and services. The patch manager has a centralized dashboard to overview devices and lists any failed updates. You can also discover software vulnerabilities using SolarWinds Patch Manager. It comprises a scheduler to pre-test the patches and automatically installs patches without any fear of bugs. These pre-built packages help with patch scripting, researching, and testing patches.
- Simple dashboard makes it easy to track and visual patches and their progress, even on larger networks
- Integrated directly with SCCM for a smoother patch deployment
- Supports a wide variety of third-party patching options
- The tool is very enterprise focused, may not be the best option for home labs or small networks
SolarWinds Patch Management functions help receive patches even with powered-off devices. It is a great tool for SCCM as it helps monitor Microsoft and third-party applications and improve its capabilities. Try the 30-day free trial with the user-friendly and advanced SCCM alternative. Get access to extended patching capabilities with SolarWinds Patch Manager.
Website Link: https://www.solarwinds.com/patch-manager
Download: Click here for a fully functional 30-day free trial.
4. ManageEngine Endpoint Central
ManageEngine Endpoint Central is a unified endpoint management solution that is easy to set up and navigate. It is one of the best alternatives to SCCM that helps update devices faster. They allow simple client configuration and offer fast implementation in comparison to SCCM. It also helps simplify and check software updates and scan devices without any additional requirement of time-consuming configuration activities.
- Patch Management
- Remote Desktop Sharing
- Power Management
- OS Imaging and Deployment
- Mobile device management
- Software Deployment
- Endpoint Security
- IT Asset Management
- USB Device Management
- Scans all contactable endpoints
- User Administration
- Service Pack Installation
Its versatile features aid in patching third-party apps quickly. You can track smartphones, tablets, and other devices from a centralized location using ManageEngine Endpoint Central. To install and set up ManageEngine Endpoint Central, you only require an EXE file and need to follow installation wizard guidelines. Once the setup is complete, you can easily navigate and use the dashboard to track network performance. Its user interface provides a robust monitoring experience. Get real-time status of devices and workstations with a click. The tool comprises various features that make it suitable for any environment.
Get support for more than 250 third-party applications and use the tool to monitor your network performance. It also helps meet the requirements of IT administrators by managing devices and servers from a single location. However, there is only one disadvantage with ManageEngine Endpoint Central. The user interface is not intuitive, but it can be improved. Furthermore, you do not require any human intervention to install patches in its latest version. Rest, ManageEngine Endpoint Central is a great alternate option.
- Flexible deployment options across multiple platforms
- Can be installed on both Windows and Linux platforms, making it more flexible than other on-premise options
- Offers in-depth reporting, ideal for enterprise management or MSPs
- Integrated into more applications than most patch management solutions
- ManageEngine is a feature-rich platform that takes time to fully explore and learn
Website Link: https://www.manageengine.com/products/desktop-central/
SCCM does not support mixed-platform environments. Thus, using JumpCloud works best as an alternate solution. JumpCloud is an open directory platform compatible with all on-premises, in the cloud, operating systems, including Windows, macOS, Linux, etc. It allows users to access corporate resources securely from any location. Also, the platform helps unify devices. This Directory-as-a-Service solution is highly advantageous and helps establish control over user and system management activities.
- Multi-factor Authentication
- Device controlling
- User account management
- Supports Single Sign-On (SSO)
- Implements Active Directory
- Policy-driven access control
- System management
- Cloud directory services
- Access Certification
- Full disk encryption (FDE)
- Credential Management
- Endpoint Management
- HIPAA Compliant
- ISO Compliance
- Audit Management
- Intuitive web interface
Enhance security with policies and commands across various platforms. These policies also help in the automatic updating of the Operating system. Be it Linux, Mac, or Windows operating systems, JumpCloud allows quick provision and de-provision of user access as per the need. The tool also supports protocols such as REST APIs, SSH, SAML, LDAP, and RADIUS. Administrators can easily connect with users via these protocols from any location. It is a 100% cloud-based comprehensive and flexible directory platform that allows the management of user identities and resource access.
- Provides access management via the cloud, even for on-prem resources
- Ideal for companies looking for more cloud flexibility
- Provides Active Directory access through a GUI in Linux
- Free for up to ten users – great for smaller businesses
- Not a great option for those looking to keep management tools on their LAN
Take control of your environment using the Jumpcloud directory platform. Sign up for a free JumpCloud account and leverage its built-in tools.
Website Link: https://console.jumpcloud.com/signup
JetPatch is another trusted alternate tool for SCCM. It provides seamless automated patching and helps protect your infrastructure. JetPatch is a cloud-based, centralized, highly reliable, and easy-to-use tool for Patch Management Software. It can help discover a central view of deployed agents and under which configurations are they running. JetPatch Agent Manager is compatible with all platforms, including on-premise, AWS, Azure, in the cloud. It can also help accelerate the workload transfers.
- Automatic Patch Deployment
- Compliance Management
- Patch Testing
- Reduce Downtime
- Automatic Scans
- Network Wide Management
- Configuration management
- Agent Management
- Auto-test post-patch application performance
- Orchestrate patch operations
- End-to-end patching of OS
- Enterprise Ecosystem Integrations
- Cyber gaps removal
JetPatch can help on checking agent status and update if any broken agents are visible. Further, it can help them reconfigure or reinstall as per the need. They are compatible with multiple operating systems like Linux, Windows, Unix, etc, and support Hybrid Deployments. Philips, Accenture, Xerox are a few brands that support JetPatch Agent Manager. Access its advanced automation capabilities and make the best use of the platform. Eliminate cyber gaps, manual efforts, and much more with JetPatch features and capabilities.
- Provides granular control for automated patching and scanning
- Can automatically identify new devices that require patching
- Supports on-premise, cloud, and hybrid cloud network configurations
- Great interface
- Better suited for larger networks
The tool is highly beneficial in minimizing risk, reducing systems downtime, and increasing efficiency. Enjoy a free trial and get guaranteed business continuity.
Website Link: https://jetpatch.com/agent-manager/agent-tools/
7. Ivanti Security Controls
Ivanti Security Control allows enforcing security policies on storage devices to protect crucial data. It works as a barrier to modern cyber-attacks and supports patch management for OS and third-party applications. Ivanti Security Control is another trusted alternative to SCCM. It uses a single management console to enable whitelisting and granular privilege management. The Whitelisting feature available in the Ivanti Security Control provides authorized access to applications and services. Further, it requires no constant maintenance to work effectively.
- Vulnerability Scanning
- Whitelisting and Blacklisting
- Intrusion Detection System
- Flexible architecture
- Role-based access control
- Restricts access for I/O devices
- forced encryption policies
- OS patching
- User-centric privilege management
- Automate vulnerability detection
- Cybersecurity threat alerts and notifications
- Deploying patches
- Patch Virtual Servers
- Grant Permissions
- Automate Patch Management
To ease the management of sprawling device estates, Ivanti Security Controls was designed to target bigger attacks. It is highly beneficial for enterprises looking to discover authorized and unauthorized software and reduce security risks. The tool supports OS patching for various platforms, virtual machines, servers, and workstations. It also helps control the administrative rights of the user without restricting or affecting user productivity. Scan for missing patches on your virtual servers and deploy using Ivanti Security Controls. It can also manage heterogeneous environments and third-party applications like Adobe Acrobat Flash and Reader, oracle, Google Chrome, etc.
- Multi-platform support for Linux, Mac, and Unix gives the tool flexibility in diverse networks
- Patch scheduling works well out of the box
- Applies a zero trust model out of the box
- Offers simple graphical reporting which is easy to setup
- Must contact company for exact pricing
Try the automated patch solution and timely scan the device to detect security problems beforehand. Get better insights and create quality reports for better decision-making. It is a great alternate solution to fill the gaps present in the cybersecurity team. Also, it is the best tool to protect any organization. Furthermore, you can also import CVE lists from any Vulnerability Management vendor using Ivanti Security Controls.
Website Link: https://www.ivanti.com/products/security-controls
SCCM is a versatile technology used for managing Windows devices. It has been in practice for a long time by various organizations and is popular for endpoint management systems. The SCCM tool comprises a wide range of features that makes it of utmost importance. These benefits help assist in creating, managing, and distributing software. It is highly productive and advantageous for IT staff. SCCM tools also help save IT, administrators, from performing manual day-to-day activities. They help make things much easier for the experts and cost-efficient. The user-friendly tool helps deploy operating systems, patches, and software.
Many organizations still look forward to choosing SCCM tools for systems management. However, the tool is not compatible with all businesses. Thus, they switch to getting an alternate solution with advanced features and capabilities. They look for tools and platforms that are compatible with multiple platform environments and hold good patch management capabilities. Check out some of the above-listed popular SCCM alternatives that can help meet your business requirements.
Compare each alternate solution and choose the one that meets your business requirements. This guide reviews the top alternatives for SCCM that help manage devices, servers, and workstations well over the network. Get yourself a cheaper alternate system management solution to SCCM from the list.