Software patch management is a process in which a piece of code is tailored to fix a problem, error, or bug in the application. This helps a network of computers to perform to the best of their ability and keep them up-to-date.
Here’s our list of the best Server Patch Management tools:
- SolarWinds Patch Manager – FREE TRIALAutomates patching of Microsoft workstations, servers, and third-party applications, as well as an automated patching and reporting facility.
- NinjaRMM Ideal for IT services, managed service providers, SMB’s and small to mid-size companies with IT departments.
- Syxsense Provides a cross-platform and consolidates desktops, laptops, services, operating systems Windows, Legacy OS’s, Mac, Linux, and many more.
- Atera Offers a cost-effective and disruptive high-tech model that lets you manage an unlimited number of devices and endpoints at a flexible rate.
- ManageEngine Performs an automated server patch management deployment for Windows, Mac, and even Linux endpoints and support more than 650 third-party updates for over 350 applications.
- LANDesk Patch Manager A well established among asset management, systems, and also software vendors.
- Shavlik A complete solution that offers inventory, application patching, and third-party agentless patching for OS and other applications.
- GFI LanGuard Excellent for small to more prominent brands and provides many functions like exporting reports to different formats, security audits, and working in virtual environments.
The server patch management process is extensive, and right from detecting any missing patches to the endpoint of patch deployment, it allows you to automate the entire process with the help of your patch management tool. In addition, the whole process from beginning to end is streamlined and monitored by centralized patch management services to make it easier for you.
This central point of control helps these individuals reduce any system-related failures to save time, cut costs, and enhance productivity. Poor patch management can cost an organization a lot of hassle and money. By utilizing patch management, you can be sure that your overall business revenue will increase. This will allow you more time to focus on your core activities and tons of updates on devices in your network.
In addition, patch management tools help you safeguard your system instead of spending hours or even valuable money on manually doing it; these applications can update and protect your systems and devices from any location to ensure that they are safe at all times. They will even update you on any threat or even a login and ensure that the threat is taken care of on time so that your website is safe and secure.
Why do we need patch management?
With advanced technology and the expansion of the internet, third-party and ransomware attacks are increasing on businesses every day. Organizations with multiple servers and computers need to ensure that all of them are updated with the latest security features, as trying to manually manage these patches is not only time-consuming but hectic and challenging. Not to mention a significant risk for your brand.
When it comes to server patch management, you need to consider that one of the major tasks of your organization is to ensure that the software and operating systems are patched and up-to-date to prevent security breaches. You need to ensure that your systems are up-to-date at all times, which is one way to do it. You also need to know that cybercriminals are already on the move looking for any unpatched systems. That is the reason why security updates for your company are so important and need to be done as soon as possible. Manually monitoring all the methods is time-consuming and challenging. Still, even due to unforeseen reasons, if the systems are delayed in updating, it can put you in a vulnerable position.
Conditions like fires, or even natural disasters or other events can wreak havoc on your system, exposing its vulnerabilities and creating a path for third-party applications or even viruses to enter your system. This is one of the main reasons why server patch management is crucial besides allowing your employees to focus on other tasks at hand. Your employees can focus on growing and improving your brand instead of spending all the time looking after your IT. This will help you save a lot of money on training them and paying extra for equipment, tools, and other applications necessary to get this to work.
The Best Server Patch Management Tools
You must be wondering by now which server patch management tools are the best for your company? Each business, no matter how small or big, has its own needs and requirements. A few patch management tools are ideal for your brand and operate across every significant device and operating system according to these needs. Server patch management tools are essential for your organization, whether small or big and can make a huge difference in protecting your important data and ensuring that your documents and private information do not get out. This is extremely vital for small brands that have just started and not paid much attention to security. Security for small brands can make or break their business, so it’s essential to consider these server patch management tools. Here are some of them.
SolarWinds Patch Manager is ideal for small and large brands and allows you a fully functional free trial for a month to see its features for yourself. In addition, this platform automates patching of Microsoft workstations, servers, and third-party applications, as well as an automated patching and reporting facility.
- Coming to its features, this tool helps to keep your desktops, servers, VMs, and laptops patched, as well as reduce the security risks and limit service interruptions with the help of the latest patches for a third-party application.
- It helps you control what is being patched and read the reports and use its tools for vulnerability management, pre-tested packages, and Microsoft WSUS server patch management.
- As a small brand, a breach in security can be extremely bad and can ruin not only your reputation but also put you out of business. This application can help you patch up your protection and keep track of the reports so that you can be prepared and protect your and your client’s information in the long run.
- It allows you to be prepared for big brands and cover up any possible endpoint so that your site is not vulnerable.
Website Link: https://www.solarwinds.com/patch-manager/registration
You can test out SolarWinds Patch Manager free through a fully functional 30-day trial.
NinjaRMM is ideal for IT services, managed service providers, SMB’s and small to mid-size companies with IT departments. This tool offers a free trial of the product based on certain services required. However, once you invest in it, it is a powerful automated server patch management solution ideal for IT professionals and MSPs. This is because it provides a complete set of tools that allows you to manage, secure, monitor, and improve your network, as well as software on your smartphone and other devices, regardless of your location.
- This application allows you to directly control your devices from a remote location without interrupting any end-users and getting full software and hardware inventories.
- You can monitor the health of your macOS and Windows laptops, servers, workstations as well as gain control over features, security updates, and drivers with powerful IT automation.
- This tool patches effectively and provides professionals with improved ticket resolution times, increases drive efficiency, and much more. Most managed businesses outsourcing their IT to other agencies require confirmation that their site is being looked after and kept safe.
- This application comes in handy for professionals as it is safe, secure, and easy to use and can be a powerful tool to keep any hackers and third-party applications at bay.
Website Link: https://www.ninjarmm.com/rmm/patch-management/
Syxsense server patch management tool is the best for small to large businesses. It provides a cross-platform and consolidates desktops, laptops, services, operating systems Windows, Legacy OS’s, Mac, Linux, and many more. This helps you secure all endpoint vulnerabilities inside and even roaming devices that are outside of your network.
- It patches everything, from old to new operating systems and older versions and newer ones.
- It can help keep a constant stream of security, patches, and threats for third party software applications as well as provide you with compliance reports on security risk assessment, interactive and most vulnerable devices and tasks so that you can keep up-to-date with new technology and the latest software applications and updates as well as patches.
- For small companies, growing and getting established helps them feel secure and safe online and allows their customers to invest in their products across platforms and devices, knowing that their data, information, and other sensitive details are safe and secure.
Website Link: https://www.syxsense.com/patch-management/
Atera offers a cost-effective and disruptive high-tech model that lets you manage an unlimited number of devices and endpoints at a flexible rate. In addition, since Atera is cloud-based, it provides a powerful and integrated solution that is ideal for IT consultants, departments, and MSPs and includes reporting, patch server management automation, and a fully integrated IT solution.
- This application provides free 24/7 customer service support and no hidden fees or contracts, so you can cancel anytime you want.
- It is easy to use for Mac and Windows and has recurring patch profiles weekly or even monthly to ensure that your systems are up-to-date and safe.
- You can view reports and install critical updates, drivers, tools, even security and service packs. This is one of the most popular choices by organizations as it works on unlimited devices, is seamless to use, and completely risk-free.
- If you want an affordable software application that packs a punch, this is one of the best tools to go for.
- Not only is it easy to use, but it also can be used by your entire team, which will allow you to focus on other areas of your brand.
ManageEngine is excellent for small to large brands and is the complete patching solution. It can perform an automated server patch management deployment for Windows, Mac, and even Linux endpoints and support more than 650 third-party updates for over 350 applications. This can be done on-site or even in the cloud.
- What makes this application so particular is that it can manage and deploy patches to a lot of third-party applications and software and flexible deployment and insightful policies and reports.
- It has functions to test and approve patches as well as third-party patch applications and even decline patches.
- These features make the patch application easy. In addition, it provides many advanced audits and analytics and allows you to keep track of your patching with management reports and specific policies.
- When deciding the best application for your brand, this tool comes very close and is widely preferred by several other brands for its functionality, seamlessness, and security features.
Website Link: https://www.manageengine.com/patch-management/
6. LANDesk Patch Manager
LANDesk Patch Manager is well established among asset management, systems, and also software vendors. It is a significant component in the host of products provided by the company and quite effective in providing you with deep visibility into the network.
- This server patch management system detects OS and other third-party applications and their vulnerabilities on the system, including Windows, Mac, SUSE, and many more.
- This eliminates any requirement for network configuration by increasing your patch success rates and implementing intelligence into an agent, thereby reducing automated deployment times.
- LANDesk patch manager can be deployed alone or even as an add-on to the management suite, which offers seamless integration and ensures that all devices are patched at the best possible time anywhere in the world for you and your clients.
- It offers seamless integration for asset management, ticketing, and many more systems. This makes it easier for you to keep track of your system and the kind of software so that you can operate it with ease.
Shavlik has two offerings which are a patch and a protect and empower management system. Shavlik server patch management protect is a complete solution that offers inventory, application patching, and third-party agentless patching for OS and other applications.
- It deploys patches to your virtual and physical assets, including Microsoft Windows, Mac, and third-party applications from a central console. Hence, there is no doubt that you can expect top-notch results when building comprehensive patch policies, intricate tasks, and also detailed reports.
- This tool performs very well in complex and more extensive environments and a team and can be used for all your large-scale patching needs.
- It raises your investment and is relatively painless at adding third-party patching with a creative add-on solution to reduce risk from unpatched third-party applications.
- With many businesses getting attacked these days, this application can be one of the top ones that will help you safeguard your brand and your clients and employees.
Website Link: https://www.ivanti.com/company/history/shavlik
8. GFI LanGuard
GFI LanGuard is excellent for small to more prominent brands and provides many functions like exporting reports to different formats, security audits, and working in virtual environments. This application is widely preferred and chosen by a host of organizations, right from startups to more prominent brands, especially those that need their site and their clients' site monitored and checked for security purposes.
This server patch management application is the platform for network security and monitoring and scanning to make sure that the business is safe from any bugs or outside threats. In addition, you can integrate this tool with more than 4000 critical security applications and anti-spyware and antivirus, making it even more valuable. If you’re a professional, this is one of the best applications for you to use, especially when handling sensitive data and essential documentation.
- This third-party application management software is available for a lot of new and popular applications like Mozilla Firefox, Quick Time from Apple, Adobe Reader, and a host of other applications that you use on a day-to-day basis.
- Besides this, GFI LanGuard also provides a completely automated patching facility for all huge and major web browsers, including Apple Safari, Mozilla Firefox, and even Google Chrome.
- It can detect more than 60,000 vulnerabilities and threats from bugs, viruses, or even hackers and third-party applications. Then, using specific server patch tools can provide a comprehensive view of the network and allow a brand to protect itself.
Patch management tools are widely used and have become very important today as brands have realized the importance of security and what it means for their organization. No matter how great a brand is, one instance of hacking or even a virus can expose client information, essential data, and secure files that affect that organization's privacy. Clients will no longer feel safe to purchase or even work with them. This, in the long run, can reduce your return on investment and be very bad for business.
With suitable patch management software applications, you can secure your site from any kind of risks, increase productivity, and help keep track of your system files and information. With these eight best server patch management tools, which experts highly recommend, you can use the free plan and decide for yourself which application is best suited for your brand and your team of employees. Most brands consider the number of servers and devices they have and accordingly use the needed tools to patch and secure their site.