Firewalls act as a shield to protect your system and network against cyber attackers. They are the first line of defense that prevents any malicious software or unnecessary network traffic to enter your system via the Internet. It also helps monitor overall traffic and blocks data coming from a few suspicious locations.
Today, many businesses prefer using software firewalls to protect their running devices. We also recommend the same for small businesses. Using a hardware firewall for small businesses will help protect the devices from outside cyber attackers. At present, you may find a wide range of firewall hardware for small businesses, but choosing the right one for your business is a tough call.
Thus, we have shortlisted some of the top firewall hardware solutions for small businesses. Purchase them and add more security to your devices on the network. Compare the shared list of firewall solutions and select the best one suiting your business requirement.
Factors to Consider While Selecting the best Small Business Firewalls Tools
Deployment of the correct firewall system is critical for a secure infrastructure. You may find various firewall systems online that guarantee protection against malicious or unnecessary network traffic. But, before choosing the one for your business, consider the below-listed criteria. Follow the listed factors that will help in selecting the right firewall for your small business.
- Reputable company Double check the company and its products before purchasing any hardware. Make sure to go through the reviews and ratings of the company and get assured that it is a reputable one. Also, ensure the quality is certified and they will deliver results as stated. Purchasing solutions from a reputable company adds a guarantee and assurance.
- Offers Strong Protection A few companies provide preset configurations of the firewall. On the other hand, a few offer the option to personalize the configuration as per the business need. Make sure to invest in the firewall system that offers personalization capabilities and strong protection against the provided instructions. Thus, making it difficult for cyber attackers to crack the system or damage the data.
- Setup and Implementation Setup or installation costs may vary for different companies. Thus, make sure to check on the setup costs and discuss with the vendor before approving the hardware.
- Hardware Cost You may find various firewall systems available in the market that offers quality service at an affordable quote. Instead of spending an amount on hardware that does not deliver lasting or quality service, it is best to switch to a brand that has goodwill and offers good service. Hence, choose a firewall solution that is easy to maintain, affordable, and causes no trouble for regular business operations.
Best Small Business Firewall Tools
A large number of small businesses suffer from data breaches and cyberattacks. To improve your cybersecurity and protect the devices against malicious software, we have penned down some of the top firewall solutions. The firewall solutions are tailored to meet the unique needs of SMBs. Go through each hardware and compare their features to choose the best option for your business data and security.
1. SonicWall TZ400 Security Firewall
The SonicWall TZ firewall solutions are one of the flexible, integrated security solutions for small and mid-size organizations. They support software-defined wide area networking (SD-WAN) technology and comprise exclusive features that make it a top choice. The device also has the capability to inspect SSL connections and provide real-time threat detection and prevention.
Furthermore, it encompasses a combination of cloud-based and on-box technologies that result in high-security levels for the organization.
The SonicWall TZ firewall solution design is simple, easy to use, and install. Even less advanced users can manage the hardware without any issue. As a result, SonicWall TZ firewall solutions can be easily customized with features, such as Power over Ethernet (PoE), in-built wifi, and more.
The product has been in the market for years and has become a trusted firewall solution. Over years, various models like TZ570, TZ570W, and TZ670 have been introduced to the market suitable for distributed organizations. However, when it comes to choosing a SonicWall model for small businesses, TZ400 is the best choice.
With Centralized management, Zero-Touch Deployment, and other features, small businesses find it a reliable solution. It also offers a one-year warranty at an affordable quote.
Features of SonicWall TZ400 Security Firewall
- SonicWall has a centralized management system ensuring a high level of security
- It provides a secure connection with minimal configuration
- SonicWall provides a cloud-based sandbox program to block ransomware attacks and other threats
- Real-Time Deep Memory Inspection to capture suspicious code
- Real-Time inspection of TLS/SSL-encrypted traffic
- It also offers a quick and flexible security solution
- 900 Mbps IPS and VPN Throughput
- Expandable storage features
- An integrated wireless access controller
- IPv6 support
- WAN load balancing support
- Provides Biometric authentication features
- Integrated PoE/PoE+ support
- Supports deep packet inspection for simultaneous network streams
- SonicWall is compatible with all operating systems
2. Ubiquiti UniFi Security Gateway
Ubiquiti UniFi Security Gateway is an ideal solution for small businesses that have a tight budget. The Ubiquiti UniFi Security Gateway (USG) supports high-performance routing technology and comprises reliable features. It also uses UniFi Controller, a Graphical User Interface (GUI), to manage the solution.
This compact firewall solution offers advanced firewall policies and connects with the router to protect devices. The design works great for users who have UniFi devices (switches or wifi access points).
The best part is all these devices can be managed from a central place. As a result, users can easily view connected applications, adjust firewall settings, create Virtual LANs (VLANs), etc., from one location.
Ubiquiti UniFi Security Gateway has a centralized interface with three 1GB ethernet ports. Also, they are easy to configure and can route up to 1 million packets per second.
Overall, it is a cost-effective unit suitable for small organizations offering a limited one-year warranty.
Features of Ubiquiti UniFi Security Gateway
- It provides network routing and security
- Offers advanced firewall policies
- VLAN Support
- It also provides a site-to-site VPN server for secure and encrypted communication across the network
- Integrates with UniFi Controller, a Graphical User Interface (GUI)
- It has a centralized interface
- Supports QoS for Enterprise VoIP
- It has three 1 GB Gigabit Ethernet ports
- CLI management features, off-site management, and monitoring
- It can also route around 1 million packets per second for 64-byte packets
- Ubiquiti UniFi Security Gateway is easy to configure firewall solution
- Supports 3 Gbps total line rate for 512 bytes packets
Website Link: https://store.ui.com/products/unifi-security-gateway
3. WatchGuard Firebox T35
WatchGuard provides various products catering to all business sizes, but out of all, WatchGuard Firebox T35 and T35-W are a perfect solution for a small office that allows up to 20 users. It provides full Unified Threat Management (UTM) protection and other features that help in delivering better performance.
The T35 design includes five 1GB ethernet ports, 25 branch offices and mobile VPN tunnels, in-build wifi, and more. It is one of the cost-effective security solutions for enterprises that match distributed work styles.
Also, the product's best-in-class security services help in data loss prevention, threat detection, immediate response, and more.
WatchGuard T35 is an easy to configure and deployment tool emphasizing centralized management and can handle harsh conditions. It is a ruggedized version designed for dusty environments and extreme temperatures. It also supports logging and reporting functions.
WatchGuard products T35 and T35-W start at a decent price with one-year support and maintenance subscription.
Features of WatchGuard Firebox T35
- WatchGuard Firebox T35 supports up to 20 users
- It offers 278 Mbps UTM Throughput and 940 Mbps Max Firewall Throughput
- Supports 5 Gigabit Ethernet ports
- Supports PoE ports
- Deep packet inspection support
- It offers protection against DoS attacks, blended threats, malformed packets, and more
- Cost-effective security solution for small and large organizations
- It provides full application control
- Prevents data loss
- Quick configuration and deployment tool
- The easy to use firewall solution supports centralized management
- For higher performance, the product exercises 802.11ac operating in the 2.4 GHz and 5GHz bands
- Supports webBlocker and spamBlocker functions
- IPv6 support
- APT (Advanced Persistent Threat) blocker
- NAT support
- Security Suite of WatchGuard Firebox T35 includes network discovery, cloud sandboxing, threat correlation, other services
4. Protectli Vault – 4 Port
Protectli is another brand that provides a wide range of firewall hardware models for businesses of all sizes. However, their products work a bit differently as they are not a plug-and-play solution. But, the product is a highly valuable solution for small offices.
Protectli Vault – 4 Port is flexible and can be used with different open source firewall distributions.
Protectli comprises various product models with two, four, and six ports ideal for small businesses. They provide advanced firmware protection and support AES-NI hardware, SSDs throughout, and other optional components like 8GB DDR3L RAM, 120GB mSATA SSD, BIOS security.
Get up to 16GB DDR3/DDR4 RAM features with Intel J1900, E3845, J3160, or J4125 Quad Core processors. Another feature that makes it different from others is the fanless, lightweight, and Silent firewall solution that can be placed anywhere.
Features of Protectli Vault – 4 Port
- Supports four Gigabit Ethernet NIC ports
- Compact, fanless, light-weight, and silent firewall solution
- Supports SSDs throughout
- It provides advanced firmware protection
- Supports VPN and coreboot security features.
- Open-source ready and OS agnostic
- OS is not pre-installed
- Backed with US-based support team
- AES-NI hardware support
- Flexible hardware model for small businesses
- Supports components like 8GB DDR3L RAM, 120GB mSATA SSD, BIOS security (optional)
- It comprises two USB 3.0, two HDMI and a RJ-45 COM
- Supports CPU Intel Quad Core Celeron J3160 processor
Website Link: https://protectli.com/vault-4-port/
5. Cisco Meraki MX68
Are you looking for a firewall solution that offers Unified Threat Management (UTM) and eliminates the need for multiple appliances? Cisco Meraki MX68 is a combo pack of a router and firewall that supports up to 50 users.
The product design comprises two 1GB WAN ethernet ports, 450 Mbps firewall, and 200 Mbps VPN throughput. Also, it supports 10 1GB LAN ethernet ports. Overall, Cisco Meraki MX68 is an ideal solution for organizations comprising SD-WAN capabilities, web caching, content filtering features, Cisco Advanced Malware Protection (AMP), and more.
Another benefit of opting for Cisco Meraki firewall solutions is it comprises the ability to maintain faster wifi connectivity. The firewall system offers one-year security and supports Static Routing. You can also pay for some of its advanced features like intrusion detection and prevention, Google SafeSearch, advanced malware protection as per the business requirement.
Features of Cisco Meraki MX68
- Cisco Meraki MX68 supports up to 50 users
- Supports 450 Mbps firewall and 200 Mbps site-to-site VPN throughput
- Supports SD-WAN, Wi-Fi, and IoT
- Zero-touch provisioning
- Cisco Meraki MX68 supports Centralized management using API or a web-based dashboard
- It provides content filtering, Advanced Malware Protection (AMP), Intrusion detection, and prevention
- Prevents Data loss
- Supports SSL decryption and Inspection
- Granular app control
- Native IPsec support
- It provides 100W power provision
- Monitoring and visibility across LAN, WAN, and app server
- Immediate root-cause analysis
- In-built cellular uplink
- Supports Automatic Firmware upgrades
- Syslog and Active Directory integration
- Netflow support
- Ensures a speedy wifi connection
- Supports Static Routing
6. Sophos XG 86
Sophos XG firewalls are the true leaders that offer world-class protection, visibility, response, and the best network security pack. They comprise a variety of models and designs for small businesses to respond to threats and monitor network traffic.
Sophos XG 86 is one of the best models for small offices that can help expose all the suspicious payloads, threats, and encrypted traffic. Furthermore, it offers high-speed and unlimited user support at a low cost. It also includes various features, such as alert option, backup, firmware updates, Advanced Web Threat Protection, ultra-low latency inspection, etc.
Sophos XG 86 has four 1GB Ethernet ports, embedded MultiMediaCard (eMMC) storage, and 4 GB of RAM. It also supports on-box reporting, Application Control, and QoS.
Monitor a distributed network with excellent features of Sophos XG available with a one-year security bundle. For an in-built wifi model, you need to pay additionally.
Features of Sophos XG 86
- Supports on-box reporting
- Sophos XG 86 comprises four 1GB Ethernet ports
- It has an embedded MultiMediaCard (eMMC) storage and 4 GB of RAM
- Supports 3 Gbps Max Firewall and 310 Mbps NGFW Throughput
- It helps provide visibility and exposes all hidden risks
- Uses latest advanced technology to block unknown threats
- Automatic response to incidents
- It provides Advanced Web Threat Protection and traffic scanning
- Supports Application Control and QoS
- Integrated 802.11ac WLAN features
- It provides ultra-low latency inspection
- Supports SPX Email Encryption
- Prevents Data Loss by blocking or notifying users.
- Web server protection from hacks and attacks
7. Fortinet Security Fabric
Powered by FortiOS, the Fortinet Security Fabric is one of the leading and secure cybersecurity platforms in the industry. As many organizations are moving to digital platforms to accelerate business growth and reduce costs, the chances of data breaches and loss are high. Thus, to protect the data and goodwill in the market, most businesses switch to Fortinet Security Fabric.
The firewall solution with application-specific integrated circuits (ASIC) processors protects both small and mid-size organizations. The in-built processors aid in scaling your performance without affecting security. Also, the firewall solution provides high-speed network management services.
You can find a wide range of routers with varied bandwidths for your small business with Fortinet. Also, with the help of a management console, users can monitor all wired and wireless connections at all times. One can also switch to the Security Fabric package designed for small offices if needed. This package covers endpoint device protection, enhanced security features, and more.
Features of Fortinet Security Fabric
- Application-specific integrated circuits (ASIC) processors
- Easy to deploy, manage, and operate
- It has an integrated security architecture
- Fortinet offers broad attack surface visibility
- Supports automated operations and response
8. Palo Alto Networks NGFW
Palo Alto Networks Next-Generation Firewalls (NGFW) is ideal for businesses enabling remote work or looking for work-from-home models. This Next-Generation Firewall solution is compatible with online file-sharing. The firewall solution also supports an automated approach focussing on providing security across the cloud.
It ensures complete visibility and control over the network traffic. Furthermore, to connect with cloud storage, the solution uses site-to-site VPN tunnels. Thus, ensuring security.
If your company uses public clouds to offer customer services, then Palo Alto Networks Next-Generation Firewalls is the best solution for your business. Its robust features will help monitor the traffic and examine every activity at all times. However, it is not specifically designed for small offices but offers cloud-centered protection for businesses if needed.
Features of Palo Alto Networks NGFW
- Supports Application-based policy enforcement
- Threat prevention against viruses and malicious traffic
- It provides traffic visibility and support features like URL filtering, data filtering, mobile security
- Protects from DNS-based attacks
- Palo Alto’s NGFW has an extensible cloud-based architecture
- Manages firewall configurations and traffic
With businesses switching to digital platforms for profit and growth, cybercrime is also expanding. Most people believe only large corporations or banks have to deal with cyber-attacks. However, it is not true. Hackers do not target any specific category, business size, or industry. Thus, in order to protect businesses from cybercrimes or fraud, you need a firewall.
A firewall is a network security device that monitors all the traffic and blocks any suspicious data, account, or user. It prevents and blocks outsiders from accessing any sensitive data or device.
If you run a small business and are looking forward to purchasing an affordable firewall solution, we recommend following the above list. SonicWall TZ400 Security Firewall, Fortinet Security Fabric, Sophos XG 86, Protectli Vault – 4 Port, etc., are a few trusted firewall solutions. Check out their features and select one as per the business requirement and budget.