- Flow This static type checker makes it easy to find bugs as you code using an advanced data flow analysis.
- Raygun Αn error monitoring and crashes reporting tool that makes it easy to diagnose and resolve errors.
- Makes web pages interactive. You can alter the behavior and appearance of any element on a web page when a specific event occurs. This event can be a mouse click, a mouse hover, and more.
- Enables you to display animations, play audio and video on a web page, use a drop-down menu, create a carousel of images, countdown a timer, zoom in and out.
- It can be combined with Node.js to build web servers and backend infrastructure.
- Ideal for game development.
- It is the only scripting language that is native to any web browser.
This monitoring and debugging are not easy manually. There’s always a possibility to oversee some critical errors, not to mention that it can consume a lot of time and effort. To ease this process, many tools automate this monitoring and debugging.
Let's now take a detailed look into the features of each of these tools.
Here's a look at some of the features of Flow.
- Identifies problems in your code as you type it, thereby saving time and effort.
- Makes an effort to understand your code and accordingly provides intelligent recommendations.
- Safely refactors your code to give you the confidence to make changes to an extensive database.
- Enables collaboration by preventing bad re-bases.
- Protects your libraries from misuse and misinterpretation.
- Uses data flow analysis to infer types and, based on it, tracks your code throughout the application.
- Integrates well with many tools, so it is easy to integrate it within your existing infrastructure.
- Provides fast feedback in real-time while you code.
- Simple static checker that quickly identifies bugs
- Includes library protection
- Includes autocompletion and code tracking
- Is completely free
- The interface could use improvement
The features of Theseus are:
- Displays the number of times a function has been called to have a real-time understanding of each function call.
- Provides retroactive inspection of parameters, return values, and any exceptions that a function may have thrown.
- All invocations of a function are shown as a tree.
- Allows for fast rewrites and tracing
- Can easily see how many times a function was called
- Highlights errors and makes optimization easier
- Better for smaller dev teams and solo programmers
Pricing: It is free and is released under MIT License.
Download: Click here to download Theseus.
The features of JSHint are:
- Highly configurable and enables you to set various options such as bitwise operators, curly braces, camelcase, and more.
- Note that JSHint doesn't know flag memory leaks.
- Easy to install, as you can do it with the “npm” command.
- Allows you to pass both files and directories for scanning.
- Comes with many options for checking specific sections of the code.
- Provides the option to change the output form. You can select XML, Unix, and even HTML formats for easy viewing.
- Excellent interface – uses color well to highlight issues
- Automatically checks for compiling errors
- Highly customizable for more advanced coding workflows
- Simple and fast installation
- Can take time to fully explore all features
Pricing: It is free and distributed under MIT License.
Download: Click here to download and install JSHint.
The features of SplineTech are:
- It is compatible only with Windows operating systems.
- Comes with a dockable floating window and an interactive debugging guide.
- Offers many advanced features such as call stack, local variable watch tree, and more.
- Highly detailed and technical debugger tool
- Supports JScript, ExtJS, and JQuery events
- Includes automated and manual debugging tools
- Interface can feel cluttered at times
The features of Sentry.io are:
- Quickly identifies performance issues before they lead to downtime.
- Enables you to view the entire trace so that you can identify errors rapidly.
- Makes it easy to spot poor-performing API calls.
- Uses source maps to convert compiled or transpired code into its original form.
- Displays the stack trace that can be otherwise be seen in the debug console only.
- Provides information about user interactions, AJAX requests, console log messages, and more.
- Records the environment and usage details to enable you to recreate the bugs accurately.
- Stores session-specific information such as OS and query bugs.
- Isolates and prioritizes errors within a context.
- Dedicated to monitoring various languages, good for companies that already have other app monitoring tools they’re happy with
- 100+ alerts and templates customized around server health monitoring
- Supports root cause analysis for faster resolution times
- Includes workflows for better root cause analysis
- Better suited for smaller teams
Sentry.io offers four pricing plans, and they are:
- Developer – Free. Offers only limited error and performance monitoring.
- Team. $26 per month. Provides core error and performance monitoring with flexible event volume.
- Business. $80 per month. Offers standardized error and performance monitoring with insights powered by Discover.
- Enterprise. This is a complete platform monitoring with cross-project insights. Click here to request a demo.
Download: Click here to try Sentry for free.
The features of Postman are:
- Works well on Windows, macOS, and Linux systems.
- Enables you to tweak requests and analyze problems.
- Supports the debugging of problems.
- Makes it easy to create “clean” transactions that, in turn, can be replicated within your application.
- Allows you to save sets of requests and responses of your APIs through a feature called Collections.
- Supports collaboration among team members.
- Works well for repetitive testing tasks.
- Completely free
- Large supportive community with over 10 million users
- Allows for alerts to be setup through a simple workflow
- Integrates well with popular tools such as Slack, and PagerDuty
- Has a paid team version for more collaboration features that starts at $12.00
- Can be quite technical for new users
Postman offers four plans, and they are:
- Free – Supports up to three members.
- Team – $12 per user per month. Allows up to 10 integrations and a 10x increase in API usage limit over the free plan.
- Business – $24 per user per month. Along with features of the Team plan, you get a 10x increase in API usage limit, 50 integrations, and single sign-on through SAML.
- Enterprise – $69 per user per month. All the features in Business plus 1000x Postman API usage limits, 100 integrations, advanced reporting and analytics, and more.
Download: Click here to get started.
The features of ESLint are:
- Statistically analyzes your code to identify errors.
- It is built into most text editors to integrate it as a part of your development pipeline.
- Avoids find and replace problems and complications.
- Enables the preprocessing of your code.
- Supports custom parsers.
- Provides the flexibility to write your own rules that work in addition to ESLint's built-in rules, so all possible errors are identified and fixed right away.
- Requires Node.js for proper functioning.
- Works well on Windows, Mac, and Linux.
- Uses statistical analysis to find errors
- Preprocesses your code for more streamlined bug fixes
- Great user interface
- Cross-platform with Windows, Linux, and macOS
- Can take time to fully explore all features offered
Pricing: Free, though you can become a sponsor or donate.
Download: Click here to get started.
The features of JSBin are:
- Supports live reload both in the editor and in full preview.
- Provides the option to archive or even delete code bins.
- There is no impact from conflicting code running in other parts of your application.
- Enables you to see changes in real-time.
- Supports custom templates and default preferences that can be changed at any time.
- Comes with many advanced features such as drag and drop editing, keyboard shortcuts, SSL embeds, code clones, sandbox mode, private hosting, asset hosting, vanity URLs, and more.
- Extremely lightweight tool
- Includes a Dropbox sync integration
- Best for small teams and projects
- Completely open source
- Limited features compared to competing products
- More of a budget tool
Pricing: JSBin's PRO version is priced at £99.99 per year or £12.99 per month.
Raygun is a crash monitoring tool that enables you to detect errors and resolve them at the earliest.
The features of Raygun are:
- Provides code-level insights in real-time.
- Enables you to identify and fix errors before they impact the end-users.
- Provides complete visibility into your entire tech stack.
- It is easy to set up, as it requires just a few lines of code and the installation of lightweight SDKs.
- Avoids the hassles of searching through logs.
- Provides deep insights into the root cause of errors and crashes.
- Monitors deployments in real-time.
- Connects to source code repositories like GitHub with native integrations.
- Prioritizes errors that have the most significant impact on end-users.
- Uses smart filtering to segment errors through different filters such as data, location, and more.
- Adds contextual information where required.
- Generates detailed reports.
- Reduces MTTR greatly.
- Sends real-time alerts through Slack, so it is easy to track their response and assign responsibility to users.
- Integrates well with popular tools like Jira and Zendesk.
- Simple visual debugger
- Offers crash reporting and bug feedback
- Supports user monitoring
- Better suited for real user monitoring use cases
Raygun comes in three pricing plans, namely,
- Crash reporting – $4 per month per 10,000 reserved events.
- Real user Monitoring – $8 per month 10,000 reserved events
- APM – $8 per month per 10,000 reserved traces.
Download: Click here for a free trial.
The tools mentioned above (both paid and free) make it easy to detect errors and fix them. We hope this was helpful for you to identify the right tool for your business.