Why do we want to know about data encryption? The answer is simple to protect your data. One tool commonly used in the PII tools is the “Endpoint protector”. Endpoint Protector is a data prevention PII, including a USB encryption system to secure the data transfer.
In the Best USB encryption software tool post, you will be learning about the tools overview and their features. Are you more excited? Then let’s get started;
Here’s a quick overview of our top picks for the best USB Encryption tools:
- VeraCrypt – EDITOR’S CHOICE This widely-used system creates a virtual disk, encrypting all contents in a file but making all contents appear to be organized in a normal directory structure. Free to use and available for Windows, macOS, Linux, Unix, and Raspberry Pi.
- AxCrypt Can be used as a simple program to encrypt program files and folders on the USB drive.
- EncryptStick A type of encryption system that allows users to encrypt USB drives and also helps to create virtual folders or files protected with a password.
- Rohos Disk Encryption Packs good features, and the core functionalities of this encryption system are the creation of encrypted volumes.
- Gilisoft USB Stick Encryption Pretty and funky user interface features, a very easy-to-use encryption system.
- DriveCrypt A one-stop solution that guarantees the security of the files. It comes in the form of a handy when you want to encrypt folders or USB drives.
- KakaSoft USB Security A run-of-the-mill type of software that offers minimal features, however, it is a fully self-contained software on the USB flash drives, so it’s straightforward to carry and can be used anywhere.
- Bitlocker A robust and compliance security software that supports windows operations and is a highly lightweight handy encryption software, easy to carry and use from anywhere.
A Quick Introduction to USB Encryption Software
USB is a flash drive encryption device that ensures your private data is protected as well as secured. Encryption is a method that restricts data access either by software or hardware installed on the hard drive with key locked.
There are two types of USB encryptions available they are:
- Symmetric encryption
- Asymmetric encryption
The most common applications they make use of USB encryption are:
- Wireless security
- Processor security and File encryption
- Wi-Fi security
- Mobile application encryption
- Virtual private network
Why do We Need a USB Encryption Security System?
The following are the reasons why we need a USB encryption security system:
- USB encryption system helps to protect sensitive data on external devices
- USB encryption security system restricts the data flow
- This security system also controls by encrypting valuable data
- The locking system is a useful feature that protects and secures the data
- These encryption devices also provide services like protecting the data from any cyber-attacks or malware attacks, keeping the data safe from data thieves, and securing hardware and software devices and hard drives from any virus attacks
Advantages of USB Encryption Security System
Below are the few benefits of a USB encryption security system:
- USB encryption security system offers improved access to all types of media
- Hardware encrypted USB drives help users into compliance
- Hardware encryption and password protection are always on
- Zero risk of user mistakes only securely allows storage
- USB encryption security system protest against brute force attacks
- USB malware protection available, ransomware, and malware over USB are prevalent
- Any lost secure USB drives with sensitive data do not need to be reported and do not expose an organization to GDPR fines
- File encryption and Rohos disk encryption
- Password protection is also an advantage of using a USB encryption security system
Best USB Encryption Software Tools
Here we have listed the top 8 popular USB encryption software tools used to protect the data on USB drives.
VeraCrypt is a famous and rich USB encryption tool. The main focus is to encrypt the hard disks. VeraCrpyt works well with USB flash drives, and it is one of the best Encryption software available on the market. This type of tool creates the password-protected disk volumes, and later on, they will be encrypted using industry-standard encrypted algorithms. The algorithms used are Twofish, Serpents, and AES.
Features of VeraCrypt
- VeraCrypt is a free disk encryption software
- It is developed based on TrueCrypt
- It is a software system for establishing and maintaining an on-the-fly-encrypted volume (data storage device)
- It encrypts or decrypts the data as soon as it loads without user interventions
- The entire file system is encrypted (file names, folder names, file content, metadata, accessible space, etc.)
- VeraCrypt is free and open-source software
- No data stored on an encrypted volume can be read without using the correct password or correct encryption keys
- The entire file system is encrypted
- A secure way to backup important files
- This encrypt software offers encryption service to all the operating systems (Windows, IOS, Linux, and Unix)
- Standard encrypted volumes and hidden volume supported
- Many steps to follow
- Writing/reading to or from volume could be prolonged when the VeraCrypt container has a file extension reserved for executable files
- Windows and Antivirus software may interfere with the container and adversely affect the performance of the volume
Veracrypt is our top pick for a USB encryption system because it is free to use and can be installed on a long list of operating systems. This tool can be used to compress and encrypt hard drives on computers as well as USB drive contents. The service gives you a choice of encryption ciphers, then encrypts an entire drive, copying it into a hidden file. Access the USB without the password and you see nothing. Entering credentials unlocks the system and you are presented with folders and files as though they were physically on the drive, although this is a virtual presentation.
Download for free: https://veracrypt.fr/en/Downloads.html
Operating system: Windows, macOS, Linux, Unix, and Raspberry Pi
We know that the VeraCrpyt encryption system helps encrypt volumes and external drives. Whereas AxCrypt can be used as a simple program to encrypt program files and folders on the USB drive. More precisely the AxCrypt is the best option to encrypt software programming folders and can be widely used by everyone.
Features of the AxCrypt
- A lightweight and small download is required
- Comes with a more straightforward user interface with Windows Explorer integration
- Fast download and uploads
- Offers intelligent optional compression
- Supports Windows Vista 2008/ 7/8/10 32 and 64-bit compatible
- Supports OS x 10.8 mountain lion or later
- Supports mobile apps including Android 4.0.3 or later IOS version 8.0 or later
- The AxCrypt offers standard-based cryptography It only uses well-researched cryptographic algorithms and modes of operations
- Provides data integration verification The secured files cannot be modified without detection
- Automatic file updating Offers automatic of the secured file after opening and saving
- Local device security Shredding of all temporary and encrypted plain text files
- Large file support Supports files larger than 4GB
- Metadata retention Retains the original file name and the information of the secured file
- Brute force resistant Dynamic brute force counter measure-> iterative password wrapping making attacks even harder
- Open-source Under GNU general public license
- Need to update the relevant settings to avoid any risk occurring
- AxCrypt uses a few good encryption algorithms; there might be chances of putting some filed at risk
Website Link: https://axcrypt.net/download
The EncryptStick is a type of encryption system that allows users to encrypt USB drives and also helps to create virtual folders or files protected with a password. The EncryptStick offers one of the most robust encryption mechanisms to encrypt flash USB drives on various operating systems such as Windows, MAC, Linux, etc.
Features of EncryptStick
- Encrypt applications Helps hide and protect the applications like Skype, Google chrome, and folders
- Create backups Backup encrypted disk manually or set up automated backup options
- Encrypt USB drives Create a protected partition on your USB flash drive
- Options Setup disk autostart, disconnect hotkeys, and other options
- Set up authentication keys
- Encrypt stick can quickly, easily, and permanently secure your important information and protect your privacy
- Helps to keep your files safe
- Synchronizes the files across the devices
- Back up your data quickly, easily, and more securely
- Keep your private file safe
- If you lose the key, there might be a chance of losing the large files or folders
- It takes a lot of time when encrypting the larger files
Website Link: https://www.encsecurity.com/product/sandisk.php
4. Rohos Disk Encryption
The Rohos Disk Encryption system packs good features, and the core functionalities of this encryption system are the creation of encrypted volumes. The Rohos Disk encryption is straightforward to customize the encrypted volume size and parameters like file locations and mount point letters.
Features of the Rohos Disk encryption
- Hide folder Hide and encrypt a particular folder from PC into Rohos disk
- Change password Specify a new password across Rohos disk
- Encrypt USB drive Create the protected partition on your USB flash drive
- Options Set up disk auto start, disconnect hotkeys and other disks
- It helps to keep the data safe
- Sometimes prevents breaches with the File detection encryption methods (FDE)
- Keeps the user password safe
- Offers full-disk encryption
- Steganography is not possible with Rohos mini
- Sometimes file shredders erase the content of the files
- It’s impossible to set up the hardware security key for disk access without entering a password
Website Link: https://www.rohos.com/products/rohos-disk-encryption/
5. Gilisoft USB Stick Encryption
The Gilisoft USB Stick Encryption offers pretty and funky user interface features. However, it’s a very easy-to-use encryption system. All you need to do is just plug in the flash drive, and it detects automatically. Most importantly, you need to specify the disk area where you want to create the file on the drive and the encrypted password.
Features of Gilisoft USB stick encryption
- Maximum folder security
- File lock system
- A folder guard feature is also available
- A proposed system USB encryption
- Able to lock or hide files and folders with personal passwords
- AES encryption and hiding private files
- Operates well with the Windows platforms
- Provides detection signs using Alarms and email notifications
- Installation required
- Not portabl
- Sometimes it takes more time to unlock the files or folders
The DriveCrypt is a one-stop solution that guarantees the security of the files. DriveCrypt comes in the form of a handy when you want to encrypt folders or USB drives. It is also possible to encrypt selected files with DriveCrypt. This software also features a password sniffing facility that prevents Trojan files or hackers from trying to access the DriveCrypt passwords.
Features of the DriveCrypt
- 1344 bit military strength encryption feature
- It is entirely transparent
- Unprotected data never resides on the DriveCrypt encrypted hard drive
- Master password settings
- Restricted second user password
- Console lock-out passwor
- Hides data in fake disks or music files
- Strong cryptography
- Easy to install, deploy, and use: installation requires minimal administration and training experience
- Maximize your security and minimize the risk: DriveCrypt protects your data quickly and has a true “on the fly” disk encryption process
- Disk partition and file volume encryption: DriveCrypt allows both the encryption of an entire hard disk partition as well as a creation of a virtual container file that will store all the encrypted information
- Invisible container: the password of the invisible disk gives you access to your working disk
- Hide data into music files: using an exceptional functionality known as “steganography”, the DriveCrypt allows you to hide all your sensitive information in the music files. Just authorized users will be able to access secret information
- Improved password security
- Password sniffing protection: DriveCrypt integrates special functions that prevent passwords from being sniffed by hackers or trojan horses etc
- No-evidence encryption
- Anti dictionary and brute force attack mechanism
- It requires larger storage files to perform few encryption operations
- Time consumption is less as it requires more time in the installation process
7. KakaSoft USB Security
KakaSoft USB security is a run-of-the-mill type of software that offers minimal features. However, this USB security is fully self-contained software on the USB flash drives, so it’s straightforward to carry and can be used anywhere. The Kakasoft USB security utility installs itself on the USB drive and runs automatically whenever you plug it into the drive.
Features of the KAKAsoft USB security
- Folder lock
- Lock my drive-free locker: secure and protect your files
- Offers file encryption and decryption: it will encrypt your files using AES-256 encryption algorithms
- Steganography: a free security program for windows
- M3 BitLocker description free
- Password protection: password protect USB and all portable devices, including USB flash drives, memory sticks, cards, thumb drives, and external drives
- Reliable: Multiple layers of protection and advanced encryption technique ensure complete data security on USB drives
- Ease of use: no installation required—user-friendly security software
- While running your programs on USB drives, there might be fewer chances of getting bugs or errors
- The support is prolonged
- Need to get a subscription to make use of full features
Website Link: https://www.kakasoft.com/usb-security/
If you don’t want to use third-party software, then this is the perfect software to go with it. The Bitlocker to go is a robust and compliance security software. This software configuration supports windows operations and is a highly lightweight handy encryption software, easy to carry and use from anywhere. Users can configure this software in a mere second by using the Bitlocker Drive encryption applet on the control panel.
Features of the Bitlocker to go security software
- Encrypting hard drives
- Used space-only encryption allows administrators to enable Bitlocker on new computers
- SSO support is also possible
- In addition, modern windows devices are increasingly protected with Bitlocker Device encryption
- Supports SSO to protect the encryption keys seamlessly
- Bitlocker supports encrypted hard drives with onboard encryption hardware built-in, which allows the administrator uses the familiar BitLocker administrative tools to manage them
- Bitlocker allows users to encrypt removable data drives in seconds
- First, there is no support for using BitLocker with self-encrypting devices
- Encrypting a new flash drive can take more than 20 mins
- Second, BitLocker could require a user to enter a recovery key when system configuration changes occur
- Finally, users need to enter a PIN to start the PC and sign in to Windows
Why do we need a USB security system? Here is the answer; If you use sensitive data, then the encryption method must securely transfer large files through USB drives. One more benefit of using a USB security system is that it will add a complex layer of security that can’t be brute-forced by anyone. This Best USB security tool post explains the top 8 security tools available, their features, advantages, and drawbacks. If you are looking for a free USB device, go for the VeraCrypt device; it’s free, open-source, and encrypts external volumes on USB drives. We hope this post might help a few security, networking engineers, large security communities, and experts around the globe.
USB Encryption Software FAQs
How do I encrypt a USB stick?
In order to encrypt your USB stick, you need to install an encryption system. You can download such a service onto your computer and then encrypt multiple USB sticks. These systems usually block access to the contents of the memory stick to all but those with access credentials.
What is the best USB security software?
For a good USB encryption system, try:
- Microsoft BitLocker To Go
- Sophos SafeGuard Encryption
- Rohos Disk Encryption
What type of encryption is used for USB?
There are many encryption ciphers that can be used to encrypt a USB memory stick. The strongest cipher available is the Advanced Encryption Standard with a 256-bit key. You will see this written as AES-256.