A DDoS attack is carried out with the help of several infected computers asking to access your network's internet resources at the same time. This leads to a slowdown in your websites and applications. It may not only cause financial loss but it can also lead t a dip in customer loyalty. Robust DDoS software or services are needed to protect your organization against any such malicious attacks.
DDoS protection software and services work to prevent such attacks on your websites and web resources by constantly monitoring the web traffic and setting a specific baseline for normal traffic inflow. A soon as an abnormal traffic flow is detected by the DDoS software it is diverted to a controlled source thereafter.
There are many DDoS services and software available today. While some are paid some of them offer free trials so you can test them out.
Here is our list of the top 7 DDoS protection services:
- SolarWinds Security Event Manager – FREE TRIAL Simple, light-weight, and easy-to-use monitoring SIEM solution that provides several built-in connectors that gather logs from various sources and present them in a readable format.
- Sucuri Website Firewall Cloud-based web application firewall solution that protects your site from hackers, DDoS, viruses, and much more.
- Radware DefensePro A hybrid attack mitigation solution capable of performing L3 and L4 filtering operations in real-time for advanced DDoS and IoT botnet attack mitigation.
- Project Shield IA reverse proxy that sits between your website and the internet, filter the malicious traffic, and protects your site from layer 3/4 and layer 7 attacks.
- Nexusguard Web-based tool that protects your websites, applications, API and network infrastructure. It uses a multi-layered mechanism to identify, mitigate, and analyze DDoS attacks in real-time.
- Cloudflare One of the most powerful and widely used DDoS service providers. It can handle up to 51Tbps attack. It offers a free version with unmetered DDoS protection to the user.
- AWS Shield Ideal solution for small businesses. It protects your website for layer 3 and layer 4 attacks.
Top 7 Best DDoS Protection Service or Software:
SolarWinds is an active, lightweight, and easy-to-use monitoring SIEM solution that can improve your security posture. This affordable software comes with several built-in connectors that gather logs from various sources and present them in a readable format.
Key Features of SolarWinds SEM:
- It enhances security with insightful pfSense reporting and analysis.
- A centralized logon audit events monitor keeps track of all the logins and logouts.
- SolarWinds has advanced botnet detection capabilities that strengthen real-time monitoring.
- SIEM logs provide users with real-time insights for detecting and handling security risks.
- Automated monitoring and reporting simplify IT compliance management.
- SolarWinds uses a cyber threat analysis tool to protect networks.
- It successfully monitors events from large sources to detect DDoS activities on your network.
- Identifying threat patterns is simplified with the help of Event Correlation Software.
- Real-time log file analyzer leads to improved threat awareness.
- With file integrity monitoring software sensitive information is protected.
SolarWinds is an effective way to maintain your network security. Its real-time activities and features make it one of the best software in the market. SolarWinds offer a fully functional 30-day free trial.
2. Sucuri Website Firewall
Sucuri firewall is an all-in-one solution for your website security needs. It is a cloud-based WAF that can protect your site from hackers, DDoS, viruses, and much more.
It combines a WAF (Web Application Firewall), IDS (Intrusion Detection System), and CDN (Content Delivery Network).
Key Features of Sucuri Website Firewall:
- It protects against SQL injections, XSS, RCE, and many other attacks.
- The geo-blocking feature blocks visitors from the top 3 countries with DDoS attacks.
- It successfully inspects all the incoming HTTP/HTTPS traffic and blocks the suspicious ones.
- Improves your security posture with virtual hardening and patching.
- Provides Brute force protection.
- All the plans provide full DDoS protection to the users.
- Gives one-click 2FA, captcha, and password protection on all your site pages.
- With the smart caching feature you can cache dynamic pages too.
Sucuri firewall offer 4 plans to its users: Basic, Pro, Business, and Custom Solutions. Depending upon your business requirement you can opt for any of the plans and rest assured that your website will be protected adequately.
3. Radware DefensePro
Radware DefensePro is a DDoS protection solution that helps you to fight against different kinds of attacks by mitigating zero-day DoS/DDoS attacks in real-time. It provides advanced protection from high volume and short duration threats including, DNS, TKS/SSL, PDoS, and RDoS attacks.
Key Features of Radware DefensePro:
- Advanced prevention of DDoS attacks.
- DefensePro comes with a multi-purpose CPU that provides the flexibility and scalability needed for standard operations.
- Provides DoS Mitigation Engine that is capable to perform L3 and L4 filtering operations at a rate of over 10 million PPS.
- DefensePro hardware is specifically designed for DDoS attack mitigation
- Uses a Local-Out-of-Path attack mitigation solution to combine the best of in-line and out-of-path attack mitigation methods.
- DefensePro VA available from 200 Mbps through 20 Gbps of legitimate throughput.
Learn more about Radware's full range of defensive products on their website.
4. Project Shield
Project Shield was launched in 2013 as a free service to news publishers, journalists, human rights organizations, and election monitoring sites. It is the creation of Jigsaw, which is an offshoot of Alphabet, Google’s parent company.
It acts as a reverse proxy that sits between your website and the internet, filtering the potential malicious traffic.
Key Features of Project Shield:
- Project Shield gives you unlimited protection with the help of its DDoS tools and Google’s infrastructure including layer 3/4 and layer 7 attacks.
- All the traffic flows through Google’s data servers where it is analyzed and filtered.
- With Project Shield, you have access to real-time site statistics. This allows a quick tour of the site traffic, bandwidth, and errors.
- Customizable caching strengthens the DDoS defenses, saves bandwidth, and improves the site performance too.
- An impressive feature about this service is that even if you approach it amid an attack it will help you out.
So, if you belong to the media, an election, or human rights organization and are unable to afford the expensive solutions to protect your site from DDoS then Project Shield is here to your rescue.
Your search for all-round protection against DDoS ends with Nexusguard. With this service provider, you can protect your websites, applications, API and network infrastructure too.
Nexusguard offers 100% uptime to its users, which means you don’t have to worry about any disruptions.
Key Features of Nexusguard:
- It provides 3 pillar cybersecurity platform in the form of application protection, origin protection, and DNS protection.
- Nexusguard is loaded with a collective mitigation capacity of 144 Tbps and high-performing scrubbing centers that are spread out geographically.
- It employs a multi-layered mechanism to identify, mitigate, and analyze DDoS attacks in real-time.
- By using wire-speed Access Control Lists, Nexusguard filters the traffic for bandwidth flood.
- It also keeps a track of fake IPs and infected hosts.
- By using Statistical Analysis it identifies and filters exorbitant traffic rates from zombie clients.
- With the help of its DPI engine, Nexusguard can achieve comprehensive application layer intelligence.
- By applying rate limiting, the exploitation of system and bandwidth can be limited against the set baselines.
Nexusguard provides a host of customized solutions to monitor your site traffic and performance in real-time. You also have access to various reports generated that include ‘events monitored’, ‘attacks dropped’, ‘actions taken’, and so on. You can schedule a demo on their site.
Cloudflare is one of the most efficient and powerful DDoS service providers on our list. With a network capacity of 51Tbps, it is 15 times larger than the biggest attack recorded. To keep pace with the latest forms of attacks Cloudflare uses an IP reputation database that successfully blocks threats across 20 million properties.
Key Features of Cloudflare:
- It deploys rate limiting to restrict visitors with unusually high request rates.
- It offers 4 different versions to suit the needs of various enterprises and businesses.
- The Free version is offered to individuals with a personal website. This free tier offers unmetered DDoS protection to the user.
- Cloudflare acts as a reverse proxy that sits between the visitors and the host site to filter and detect DDoS.
- For protection against known Botnets, Cloudflare uses fingerprints for HTTP requests.
- This cloud-based DDoS protection system is capable of dealing with 3 and 4 layer as well as 7 layer attacks.
- The centralized and decentralized mitigation systems work in under 3 seconds.
- You can integrate Cloudflare logs with third-party SIEMs.
The Cloudflare DDoS solution is one of the best performing services in the industry. It provides a comprehensive solution against DDoS attacks to secure websites, applications, and networks too. You can contact their sales team to find out more.
7. AWS Shield
A product of the Amazon Web Series, the AWS Shield is an ideal DDoS solution for all the small businesses that choose to host with Amazon. This DDoS protection service protects against layer 3 and layer 4 attacks (Standard plan).
It offers two versions to its users; AWS Shield Standard and AWS ShieldAdvanced. The standard version is free while the advanced costs approximately $3000 per month.
Key Features of AWS Shield:
- AWS Shield employs flow monitoring to analyze incoming traffic.
- It is cloud-based and protects applications, DNS, and APIs.
- It also uses advanced defense tools like packet filtering and prioritizing traffic to manage traffic on the client network.
- It provides an added benefit if you use Amazon CloudFront and Amazon Route 53.
- With the advanced plan, you will get 24/7 support for DDoS attacks.
- In the advanced plan, AWS Shield deploys your Access Control List to protect you against the largest DDoS attack also.
- Detailed metrics on attacks are also provided with the advanced plan.
Depending on how it is used, the AWS Shield can be one of the most costly DDoS protection plans. If you are looking for a basic level of DDoS protection then the standard plan is a good option. However, the advanced plan comes with plenty of features but at a high cost.
The above mentioned are the 7 best DDoS protection solutions for you. You couldn't go wrong selecting any of the software aforementioned as they are all efficient on resources and perform well when it comes to protecting against DDoS attacks. Depending on your organization's needs and resources you can opt for the most suitable one.