MySQL is a powerful and robust open-source database management system that offers assistance to those companies and industries that need help to run several distinct applications such as ERP storage systems and websites.
DBMSs (Database management systems) such as MySQL are a crucial resource for each organization. This is because it performs many vital tasks to help the application run seamlessly. It is essential because MySQL tools make sure that your DBMS is in a healthy state 24/7.
This guide lists the best MySQL management and performance monitoring tools that will assist you to dial in each of your SQL servers along with the fine and smooth tuning in terms of their speed and performance.
Here are the top nine MySQL Monitoring tools and software:
- SolarWinds Database Performance Monitor – EDITOR’S CHOICE This SaaS package implements performance tuning for a range of DBMSs, including MySQL. Use this system to analyze queries and identify changes to speed up responses. Get a 14-day trial.
- Idera SQL Diagnostic Manager for MySQL – FREE TRIAL A monitoring system for MySQL databases that also offers diagnostic facilities. Runs on Windows, Windows Server & Linux.
- Datadog MySQL Monitoring – FREE TRIAL Cloud-based MySQL monitoring system that makes queries inside the database to keep an eye on table sizes and object quantities.
- ManageEngine Applications Manager – FREE TRIAL This package of application monitors can watch over a range of systems, including databases. Available for Windows Server, Linux, AWS, and Azure.
- Sematext MySQL Monitoring Full-stack performance monitoring system that monitors MySQL performance along with logs, events and metrics.
- Percona Monitoring and Management Tool Open-source monitoring software tool that provides a dashboard to monitor MySQL performance.
- MySQL Monitor tool from Monyog Powerful monitoring tool that makes it easier to troubleshoot any errors or issues and fix them as soon as possible.
- SQL PowerTools Lightweight and “zero impact database monitoring” tool that allows you to catch each MySQL activity and end-user response time.
- VividCortex MySQL Analyzer Another MySQL performance analyzer tool that allows you to monitor slow queries, latency, disk health, replication health, errors, and many more.
Best MySQL Tools
Our methodology for selecting MySQL monitoring tools
We reviewed the market for MySQL monitoring software and analyzed the options based on the following criteria:
- Performance monitoring for MySQL databases
- Examination of connected applications and their performance
- Tracking of server resource usage, linked to database activities
- SQL query analysis
- Database object analysis and tuning
- A free trial or a demo for a cost-free assessment opportunity
- Value for money from a MySQL monitor that improves performance and supports the business
Below are the best MySQL management and performance tools that come with huge benefits.
1. SolarWinds Database Performance Monitor – FREE TRIAL
SolarWinds Database Performance Monitor is basically a SaaS system that keeps a track of several DBMSs. The amenity is adopted by integrating monitors to certain DBMS.
The MySQL version of this particular monitor provides consistent monitoring along with performance tuning. It has query support as well. The monitor present in it estimates and computes the performance according to each query.
Few metrics that undergo tracking are,
- Index usage
- Execution plans
SolarWinds Database Performance Monitor also inspects each service that aids the MySQL database. Along with monitoring database configuration problems like memory usage, CPU utilization, table sizes, I/O actions, and CPU availability, it hosts statuses as well.
- Supports auto-discovery that builds network topology maps and inventory lists in real-time based on devices that enter the network
- Has some of the best alerting features that balance effectiveness with ease of use
- Supports both SNMP monitoring as well as packet analysis, giving you more control over monitoring than similar tools
- Uses drag and drop widgets to customize the look and feel of the dashboard
- Tons of preconfigured templates, reports, and dashboard views
- This is a feature-rich enterprise tool designed for sysadmin, non-technical users may some features overwhelming
Currently, SolarWinds provides a free trial for 14 days to test its functionality.
SolarWinds Database Performance Monitor is our top pick for a MySQL monitoring tool because it is able to analyze databases anywhere. From its cloud base, this SolarWinds tool can assess databases on your premises or on other cloud platforms. The tool provides analysis of SQL queries and combines that research with a study of the database objects and how they get hit. This results in suggestions for the improvement of both database object and query layout to prevent resource locks and speed up sorting and filtering.
Download: Get a 14-day free trial
Official Site: https://www.solarwinds.com/database-performance-monitor/registration
OS: Cloud based
2. Idera SQL Diagnostic Manager for MySQL – FREE TRIAL
Idera SQL Diagnostic Manager for MySQL offers both monitoring and database analysis facilities that can help improve database speed by suggesting query improvements and new or adjusted database objects. This service is also able to gather, store, and manage database system logs. That data can be recalled for performance assessments.
The Idera system shows SQL query execution and resource usage within the MySQL database as the query runs. This is a useful service for discovering what circumstances cause queries to run too long. The diagnostic tool lets you see whether you need to alter the query or add objects, such as indexes to the database to improve performance.
The tool also provides constant monitoring of database instances. The monitor will watch over automated database administration processes, such as backup or replication. If the monitor predicts that system resources are running short, it raises an alert.
- Simple, but powerful interface – great for new users
- Auto formatting and syntax color makes helps DBAs stay organized when at scale
- Offers numerous presets and recommendations to improve performance out of the box
- Supports collaboration with real-time feedback and team features
- The trial could be longer
SQL Diagnostic Manager for MySQL installs on Windows, Windows Server and Linux. As well as monitoring MySQL databases, this service is able to supervise MariaDB, Aurora, Azure Database for MySQL, Amazon RDS, Google Cloud SQL for MySQL, and Oracle Cloud MySQL Cloud Service databases. This package is available for a 14-day free trial.
3. Datadog MySQL Monitoring – FREE TRIAL
Datadog is primarily a cloud-based system management service that is accessible in multiple modules. MySQL monitoring is incorporated in the Datadog APM service. This is a popular application monitor that can be oriented by the vendor-specific plugins, known as the “integrations”.
This particular monitor makes consistent checks on a huge number of database statuses. These include buffer space, tablespace utilization, and disk activity.
Apart from this, the MySQL monitoring tool additionally makes queries inside the database to keep an eye on table sizes and object quantities. These tests are executed by a Datadog agent that installs on Linux, macOS, or Windows. Nevertheless, the refining of collected data is executed on the Datadog servers.
MySQL monitoring tool’s console is too hosted in the cloud. This is to avail its access from anywhere via any standard browser. The dashboard displays live statuses as appealing graphs along with highlighting conditions that have set foot into a worrying execution zone.
- Easy-to-use customizable dashboards
- Cloud-based SaaS product allows monitoring with no server deployments or onboarding costs
- Offers specific agents and dashboards for MySQL monitoring
- Allows businesses to scale their monitoring efforts reliably through flexible pricing options
- Would like to see a longer trial period for testing
Currently, Datadog provides a 14-day free trial to test its functionality.
4. ManageEngine Applications Manager – FREE TRIAL
ManageEngine Applications Manager monitors a range of applications, including databases. This system can monitor MySQL as well as Oracle, SQL Server, and PostgreSQL.
The Applications Manager can be used to monitor the Community Server and Enterprise Server editions of MySQL. The system will record connection details, cache information, session data, and database and index sizes.
A query monitoring tool in the package helps you analyze activities to enable efficiency improvements. As this package also monitors server resource usage, you can relate MySQL database requirements with server resource availability.
- Offers on-premise and cloud deployment options, giving companies more choices for install
- Can highlight interdependencies between applications to map out how performance issues can impact businesses operations
- Offers log monitoring to track metrics like memory usage, disk IO, and cache status, providing a holistic view into your database health
- Can automatically detect databases, server hardware, and devices in real-time
- Can take time to fully explore all features and options available
You can use Applications Manager for free. The Free edition covers up to five assets and it includes MySQL monitoring. The paid version is called the Professional edition and you can assess it on a 30-day free trial.
5. Sematext MySQL Monitoring
One of the over 100 Sematext monitoring integrations is MySQL monitoring. Hence, not only can you use Sematext for MySQL logs, but you can use it for MySQL performance metrics as well. In fact, you can use it for other infrastructure monitoring too. However, if you add an agent to it, it becomes open source.
This has many advantages to offer. First and foremost, it is extremely easy to set up. It is available as both SaaS and you don't need to manage anything. It is a piece of a full-stack monitoring platform which is why it is simple to correspond MySQL performance along with events, metrics, and logs from several other lumps of application stack and infrastructure.
Last but not least, it possesses huge out-of-the-box charts and dashboards along with alert rules.
- Easy to setup and implement
- Supports a variety of different database types including SQL
- Supports threshold-based alerts, ideal for maintaining SLAs
- Has a freeware version for testing
- No on-premise version
Currently, Sematext provides a free trial for 14 days.
6. Percona Monitoring and Management Tool (PMM)
This type of tool is an open-source monitoring toolkit that is assembled on the Prometheus ecosystem. It offers an out-of-the-box dashboard to render you to analyze the performance of your MySQL system performance.
The monitoring capabilities of Percona Monitoring and Management Tool are,
- Disk health(swapping)
- Slow queries
- Max connections
- Replication lag
Along with this, the Percona Monitoring and Management Tool offers huge benefits. It is extremely easy to set up and use it. It owns an overall comprehensive guide that helps you to access it seamlessly. The best advantage is that it renders out-of-the-box monitoring dashboards.
As Percona Monitoring and Management Tool is an open-source and free kit, the overall price of running is not much.
- Open-source and transparent project
- Works with a variety of SQL environments including MySQL, PostgreSQL, and MariaDB
- Offers built-in security audit tools
- Offers in-depth query analytics for manual reviews
- Is completely free
- Not ideal for larger businesses looking for dedicated support
You can see a live demo of the Percona Monitoring tool.
7. MySQL Monitor tool from Monyog
MySQL Monitor tool from Monyog is a strong tool that grants you access to follow up every little thing that takes place in your MySQL database in real-time.
This tool instantly recognizes the source of an unforeseen spike in any of the MySQL databases. Along with it, it makes it possible to spot any error or issues and fix it soon before it affects the users in any possible way. It monitors several and multiple metrics thereby making it hassle-free for you to spot the major cause of functioning issues.
MySQL Monitor tool from Monyog also allows you to track and differentiate multiple versions of configuration files. Reducing the unwanted CPU usage time, it sends you notifications via SNMP traps, mail, Syslog, Slack apps, and Pagerduty.
It owns an advanced dashboard that exists within the alike window pane and allows you to view multiple metrics with the help of CloudWatch API, RDS API, RST API.
Showcasing replication of ranking of servers, it features an advantage of switching to a tabular view from a graphical view anytime. Additionally, you can even personalize and customize the charts that best suits your needs. MySQL Monitor tool from Monyog is safe and secured.
The professional features that it renders are,
- A unified view of all servers
- Trend analysis and history analysis
- Error log monitoring
- Personalized dashboard
- Events manager
- A simple yet powerful tool that combines both troubleshooting and monitoring
- Best for smaller networks
- Easy to setup and get started monitoring quickly
- Better suited for those that manage smaller environments
You can download a Monyog 14 days trial version and check what this software can do for you.
8. SQL Power Tools
SQL power tools claim themselves to be a “zero impact database monitoring”. As a matter of fact, it is an ordinary, lightweight and amazing tool that renders the users a general display of the performance of their database. Despite the clarity that it provides, it provides extensive features as well.
The SQL analysis and text of end-user response time permit it to catch each of the SQL activities. These tools have the ability to baseline the performance of each SQL statement.
Along with this feature, SQL Power tools provide data logging of douce and bytes sent, response time. It has a vast array of metrics that include,
- SQL agent job
- SQL wit times
- Disk usage
- I/O stall times
- SQL wait conditions
- Index fragmentation
To sum up, SQL Power tools provide excellent security features that have the ability to stop SQL injection, phishing email attacks, DevOps attacks, etc. it informs you prior to any of the incidents that might hamper your security.
- Was specifically built to be as lightweight as possible, allowing it to manage a large number of SQL servers with little resource consumption
- Offers built-in security auditing and monitoring that leverages behavioral analytics to stop SQL attacks
- Clean user interface takes little time to learn
- Doesn’t support other applications beyond SQL
- Must contact sales for pricing
To request a free trial fillup, visit the link.
9. VividCortex MySQL Analyzer
VividCortex MySQL Analyzer advises you about the metrics that you must monitor. Similar to PMM(Percona Monitoring and Management Tool), VividCortex offers out-of-the-box dashboards in order to spot and identify the issues in terms of performance with the deployments of your MySQL.
However, it considers this as an advanced step by +releasing “events” throughout important monitoring states.
For instance, if you get adjacent to the utmost number of MySQL connections that are allowed, VividCortex MySQL Analyzer emits the event.
This initiative erases the vagueness around whom the metrics are quite necessary to monitor.
The monitoring capabilities of VividCortex MySQL Analyzer include,
- Slow queries
- Disk health(swapping)
- Max connections
- Replication health
Apart from these, there are many advantages of using this tool. First, it is extremely easy to set up. And second is that VividCortex MySQL Analyzer requires an ordinary and easy installation by the agent and it removes the requirements of hosting metric infrastructure.
The pricing information of VividCortex MySQL Analyzer is however not public but can be known on request.
- Can monitor a variety of metrics including disk health, replication status, and backup queue
- Great dashboard and visuals
- Highly scalable – great for MSPs and large businesses
- Could use a longer trial period
You can start a free 14-day trial to test the VividCortex.
Choosing a MySQL client
MySQL monitoring software and tools are crucial in order to monitor the several distinct metrics of the MySQL databases. This is necessary to make sure that it stays in a healthy state.
As MySQL is an analytical and critical resource that helps the functioning of many applications, having a specific tool that monitors your MySQL database can considerably lessen the overall workload of DB administrators.
With the assistance of databases such as MySQL at the core of maximum applications, assuring the visibility in the deployment of your MySQL is important. A monitoring solution will help you by recognizing and revealing the state of MySQL. It gives you a good view at the health of your MySQL thereby helping you prevent any downtime.