Automation has become an integral part of today's business operations because of the scale of data handling and processes and the speed at which products have to be delivered. Such automation is not possible without the right platform to support them, and one such platform that is well-known for its automation capabilities is ScienceLogic.
This intelligent automation platform provides the data insights that business leaders need to make quick decisions. Also, it helps organizations to manage their customers and IT environments at the speed and scale they need, in real-time. Founded by Dave Link, ScienceLogic's SL1 platform helps companies embark on a digital transformation journey to leverage the available data in real-time. In this article, let's take a detailed look at the features of ScienceLogic and see how it can fit within your organization's existing infrastructure.
Features of Sciencelogic
Here's a look at the salient features of ScienceLogic.
- Aggregates all the data in a single place.
- Provides actionable insights using Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning.
- Connects with your overall IT ecosystem to give comprehensive visibility into your infrastructure.
- Supports hybrid cloud monitoring.
- Enables IT workflow automation.
- Provides the context for your data to help you make better decisions.
- Eliminates the possibility of human errors.
- Offers many multi-tiered business services to meet your organization's requirements.
- Increases the organization’s overall agility and responds quickly to external events.
- Tracks KPIs and links them to your infrastructure's performance.
- Automates the CMDB population process and enriches the data stored.
- Reduces the costs of data handling and maintenance.
- Eliminates unnecessary processes.
- Comes with a well-designed dashboard that provides a bird's eye view of your entire infrastructure.
- Offers a historical perspective by comparing the current values with earlier ones.
- Consolidates multiple tools into a single platform, thereby saving time and money.
- Eliminates visibility gaps.
- Reduces event/incident noise to lower your MTTR.
- Offers out-of-the-box reporting templates to meet all your business and compliance needs.
- Monitors any technology and vendor.
- Synchronizes data across tools and platforms to provide a unified view.
- Continuously monitor your infrastructure to discover new devices and processes.
- Comes with an extensive library of pre-built integrations.
- Ensures data consistency across all management platforms.
- Offers REST API for easy integration into existing systems.
- Integrates well with most popular tools, platforms, and services.
- Provides real-time visibility into a multi-vendor environment.
- Supports unified communication systems and environments.
- Automates troubleshooting and remediation.
Thus, these are the features of ScienceLogic, and as you can see, they are extensive, covering all aspects of your business.
Now, you might be wondering about the cost of these automation and data-driven visibility.
Pricing of ScienceLogic
ScienceLogic offers four comprehensive plans: Base, Standard, Advanced, and Premium.
The Base plan offers the following capabilities.
- Continuous discovery
- Real-time data lake
- Dashboards and reporting
- Agentless infrastructure monitoring
- Topology-driven event correlation
- Supports multi-tenancy and high availability
- 24X7 customer support, online and phone
All the features in the Base plan plus the following.
- Agentless and agent-based infrastructure monitoring
- Behavioral correlation
- Dynamic baselining
- Infrastructure health and risk assessment
- Incident automation
- CMDB synchronization
- Monitoring powerpacks
All the features in the Standard plan plus the following.
- APM integration
- Health, availability, and risk monitoring for infrastructure and apps
- Automation and synchronization power packs
- On-demand, virtual instructor-led learning
The features in the Advanced plan and the following:
- Behavioral correlation of anomalies
- Machine learning-based anomaly detection
- Dedicated support team
As you can see, there's a lot of flexibility in the plans, so you can choose the one that best fits your needs.
The cost depends on the number of nodes you use, where each node in the Basic and Standard plans represents a physical or virtual resource that needs to be monitored for health, performance, etc. Some examples are network routers, adapters, workstations, and more.
In the Advanced and premium plans, a node includes applications as well.
Fill this form for a custom quote.
Now that we have seen the features and pricing, let's move on to a detailed review.
A Detailed Review of ScienceLogic
ScienceLogic is an advanced AI-based platform that helps make sense of organizations’ vast and disparate data.
- Highly Integrated The most significant advantage of this platform is that it replaces the need for multiple monitoring tools as the platform can handle vast amounts of data across physical and virtual resources and applications. When you have data from different sources in a centralized location, it becomes easy to correlate and identify patterns better. Further, it gives complete visibility into an organization’s overall architecture and infrastructure. Such a streamlined and contextual view enables the executives to make smarter and quicker decisions because they are well-informed. Further, it saves time and effort in gathering and analyzing the data. ScienceLogic indirectly boosts productivity as the time saved in analysis can be used for better purposes. Overall, it gives organizations more control over their operations and empowers them to act quickly in a fast-changing business world.
- Usability ScienceLogic is highly useful as it comes with a simple user interface that makes it easy to use for anyone. In addition, it is backed by a strong customer support team available 24X7 across all the plans. Plus, there are a lot of learning materials, including videos, and the Advanced and Premium plans even have an instructor-led learning session, where you can interact with the instructors.
- Flexible and Affordable ScienceLogic offers flexibility in pricing, so you can choose a plan that best fits your needs. It also allows you to customize the automation and workflow for your infrastructure and process to be easily integrated. Further, it also has REST APIs for custom apps.
- Community ScienceLogic doesn't have a vibrant community, making it difficult for you to get help on frequent questions. Though the customer support team more than makes up for it by giving quick answers, the lack of a large community can be a drawback. In particular, there is little support when you use a power pack built by one or more community members.
- Provides Insights This platform is well-known for its automation capabilities that gather data from different sources, analyze them, and provide the insights needed about your infrastructure and applications. It even uses this data for anomaly detection.
- Powerpacks These are essential for deploying monitoring solutions for specific devices. While this can be great to start, managing different power packs can be cumbersome in the long run. You must consider this aspect if you already have a CI/CD pipeline in place or plan to set one up shortly, as these power packs may require specialized effort and skills. It can even end up with a steep learning curve for some users. Let's end with a glance at the pros and cons.
Pros of ScienceLogic
The pros of ScienceLogic are:
- A highly automated plan that works well for all environments
- Provides in-depth insights from the captured data.
- Supports multi-tenancy
- Integrates well with ITSM tools
- It saves time and effort and increases productivity.
- Well-built dashboards and report templates.
- Good anomaly detection
Cons of ScienceLogic
The cons of ScienceLogic are:
- Poor community support
- No live chat
- The interface can be clunky for some users.
- Implementing CI/CD is not easy with power packs
- Steep learning curve
Overall, ScienceLogic is a convenient platform for automating the process of data collection and analytics as it provides the insights you need for better decisions. In addition, it can be easily integrated with your existing infrastructure since it works with any device, application, and event. However, watch out for the power packs as deploying too much of them in the initial phases can make maintenance difficult in the future.
All this means, ScienceLogic is a valuable platform but may not be ideal for everyone. That's why we will take a look at some of its alternatives.
Some of the alternatives to ScienceLogic are:
Datadog is an observability platform that can monitor any stack, app, or platform at any scale and from anywhere. This flexibility to stay on top of your infrastructure at all times is a unique selling point of this platform. Furthermore, it generates the reports you need for auditing and compliance while its dashboard gives all the pertinent information about your infrastructure at a mere glance.
Cisco's AppDynamics is a business observability platform that monitors your resources and applications, gathers data from them, analyzes the same, and eventually provides the insights you need for intelligent decision-making. This is an advanced platform that monitors usage, databases, APIs, and cloud – all in real-time. It also combines artificial intelligence and machine learning to help make sense of the disparate data across your infrastructure.
Dynatrace combines automation, security, intelligence, and observability in a single platform to provide detailed insights into your operations. This information enables you to make smarter decisions that can positively affect your organization. It can monitor your applications, infrastructure, microservices, security, cloud automation, analytics, user experience, and more to give a unified view of the state of affairs in your organization.
LogicMonitor is a cloud-based monitoring platform that provides full-stack observability and monitoring for your entire infrastructure. As a result, you get in-depth insights about the health and performance of your stack, seamless collaboration at scale, and visibility into everything through a single platform. It works well across all environments with automated configuration.
5. Splunk Enterprise
Splunk Enterprise is a comprehensive platform that uses machine learning to convert data into actionable insights in real-time. It comes with a host of features that enable predictive and proactive business decisions, while its advanced reports help with compliance and auditing. We hope this was an insightful read as you sift through many options to find the perfect automation platform for your organization.